Author Topic: John Darragh, Dyer, Alderman, Lord mayor of Dublin 1781 also George Newton  (Read 9947 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: John Darragh, Dyer, Alderman, Lord mayor of Dublin 1781 also George Newton
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 September 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this! Yes, I found the less than flattering reference. I eill PM you re Dudley Hussey.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 September 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry, just realised there is some rule which requires you to post a few messages before I can send you a personal one. In my research on John Darragh, The first Hussey to appear so far is Dudley Hussey who marries his daughter. I would be most interested in the St. Stephen's Green House reference.  Which number in the green was it - might lead to defining Hussey a little more clearly. What is your earliest recording of  the Dudley Hussey name in your family, and is it both names or just one? As Darragh's heir, obviously he is important in the story, and it would be good to find out who he was.

Really apreciate all help with this! And will look over my notes to see what I have on Hussey. He was elected recorder by the Major and Aldermen - it seems to have been a Chief Magistrate type of job, so there may be CARD refernces to him. As he died young, no family, I have not chased him yet.  PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 September 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
OK, had a look at my notes. From the will of Mark or Marcus Cassidy, Formerly of Derry but in 1789 was living in Newtown Avenue Blackrock, who was married to Mary Anne Hussey, sister of Dudley Hussey, Recorder of the city of Dublin, we find that Hussey had another sister, a Mrs. Hughes, who was married to a Paul Hughes Esq.  They had a son, Dudley Hussey Hughes  of Blackrock who was buried  on 11 may 1818. The will abstract in the Registry of Deeds (Ireland), P. Beryl Eustace, Eilish Ellis - 1954 is very interesting. Cassidy left money to a lot of people, including his postillion. Unfortunately I did not take a copy, just notes. But some one on this board may have a copy, to see if there is more info about Dudley Hussey Hughes. Anyway, this is an instance of the whole name being passed on.
Dublin street directories may be of help here. Irish Marriages H [ Marriages ] : Free Genealogy Pages from  an Ulster site gives:
Hughes, Dudley Hussey, Black-rock=Watson, Helena, Bride St. Nov. 1807 p. 703. So if you have any of these people in your tree, that might be the explanation.

There is also an American family see- "Genealogy of Harold Dudley Hussey." H.D. Hussey. - check it out in Google for refs- but as their Dudley + Hussey arises out of a marriage much later than the people I mention here, I think that is just coincidence, but could be your DH rather than John Darragh's son in law. Hope that clarifies things. I have a family tree  (not my own family) for some Irish Husseys   starting with Nicholas Hussey of Mulhussey around 1400. Think maybe you should make this a separate thread.
PM

Offline sihuss

• RootsChat Member
  • Dudley Thomas Hussey (1871-1944)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 September 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
HI PM,

having had a chance to consult my notes, it seems the property I was thinking of was actually on the south side of Mecklenburgh Street (now called Railway Street), adjoining Stable Lane - John Darragh had apparently built 2 houses there, one occupied by a stucoman Mick Stapleton and the other by a widow, Helena Stuart.  Darragh passed ownership to Hussey and his wife-to-be on condition that the rent be paid to Susanna, not her husband Dudley - And that in the event of her passing, that the property be willed to any children rather than to Dudley - (ie. it would have to go to a descendant of John Darragh).

The deed (dated 24/6/1775) also refers to a 3rd tenement on the east side of Marlborough Street.

The Grantee of the deed was a James Campbell (Hardware Merchant) although, how he fits in exactly I'm afraid my notes don't indicate - I was browsing these deeds on the lookout for genealogical details to do with Hussey!

The parcel occupied by Stapleton was subsequently rented by Dudley and Susanna to a Samuel Carter (for a period of 60 years at £28/year) in a deed dated Jan 17th 1784.

Re the St. Stephen's Green property, the deed I looked at was a mortgage between Dudley Hussey and a Rice Gibbon (a surgeon) dated 23/9/1784.  The land was on the east side of the Green, bounded to the south by lands belonging to an Anthony Lee, and to the rear by Lord Fitzwilliam's Ground.  There was mention of a Stable and Coach Houses rented to an Ann Gore (at £13 11 shillings).  The mortgage to Rice Gibbon was for £800.

Apologies for sketchy nature of this info - As I said, it wasn't really what I was looking for!

As regards Dudley Hussey, I'm sure my info is much the same as what you have.  Eldest son of Miles Hussey (-1771), a mathematician of Abbey Street, Dublin.  Born c.1741-43.  Educated in the Middle Temple, he was called to the bar in 1766.  Married in St. Mary's Dublin 24th Jun 1775 to Susanna Darragh of Ormond Quay.  Purchased Borough of Taghmon seat to become MP Oct 1783.  Like his more celebrated namesake Walter Hussey Burgh, Dudley was also a 'Monk of the Screw'.  Like John Darragh, he was one of the original subscribers to the Bank of Ireland.  Died 17 Nov 1785 at Stephen's Green Dublin, having contracted some sort of fever while visiting a provincial jail.  Other than this, I know only that he had an unnamed sister (of Stephen Street) who married a Paul Hughes, and another Mary Ann who married a Mark Cassidy - (these last facts are laid out in a transcript of Mark Cassidy's Will - Registry of Deeds).

Sihuss

Offline artender

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 September 23 04:43 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is permitted to show, but I recently acquired John Darragh's Last Will and Testament. It is an amazing piece, 4 pages long 12X15 in length and covers lots of distribution of his assets to different people, including many that are listed in this forum. The document is from 1783.