Author Topic: John Darragh, Dyer, Alderman, Lord mayor of Dublin 1781 also George Newton  (Read 9945 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: John Darragh, Dyer, Alderman, Lord mayor of Dublin 1781 also George Newton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 August 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

I have just found another reference which confirms the  Darragh dyer connection. It is a list of people apprenteced to the a guild. 1736, Chas Darragh, son of John Darragh dyer, deceased apprentece to Wm. Sinclair. Maybe this JD is father of mayor jd

Also that  some of John darraghs, Lord mayor of Dublis collection of fine china was sold at auction in Sothebys London in 1949 formerly in the possesion of H. newton, then walter randolph Hirst. So seems like he had an interest in both china and textiles....

Thank you for all the CARD references. This is a big help, and i am truly grateful. pm

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 August 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
 Help!  Just looking at the eaelier messages...I missed the import of this...

"When Mary died in 1799, the Darraghville passed to the Newton family.  George Newton built a new house on the site and it stills exist as the Holy Faith Convent in Kilcoole."

Is there any doucumented evidence that GN not JD built the house, and if so, what house was there before? Did JD build or buy a house?  The Convent archive had JD as the builder of the present house...

Offline eomomo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 August 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
Another interesting point about John Darragh is that he was one of the original subscribers to the Bank of Ireland share issue in 1783, buying £2000 of the shares.

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 August 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Pastmagic

I noticed a few more references in CARD in the last 48 hours. If you would like these just say so.

Regards    Quaxer

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I would be delighted to have them. So much useful info is turning up.

PM

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
Pastmagic
Herewith as requested and all from CARD
T12/285 the City leased to him their Plot 3 in Flints Croft  but he complained in 12/496 that although he had built a coach house at the rear, the City had not put him in possession of the plot . Flints Croft was roughly between Grafton Street, Clarendon Street and Harry Street.
In 12/324 he is stated to have taken leases to 2 plots frontin Clarendon Street.
In 12/433 he is stated to be in London and was requested to use his endeavours to procure persons skilled in pipe water works.
In 12/512 he was successful in his bid to street scavenge Dublin South of River District No.9
In 13/135 he was reimbursed for replacing the floor boards in the Grand Jury Room
In 13/239 he was stated to be unwell.
In 13/251 he was reimbursed for expenses he incurred while Lord Mayor
13/461....  (January 1786) Mary Darragh (widow) sole executor of Alderman John Darragh decd.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
There is a transcript of a will in National Archives for a Thomas Darragh who died in 1750 in Dublin who was a merchant.

Also a transcript for a Elenaor Darragh from Westland Row, date of grant 1839. Dont know if these are related...

There is also a John Arthur Darragh listed in the Brian J. Cantwell's Memorials of the Dead
for Wicklow, Church of Ireland
Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford
Browne, Crean, Kelly, Keavney: Sligo.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you - will check out those wills. Have found a Thos. Darragh of Pill Lane Merchant as a signatory to a deed in the right period. Also find that the Osbornes were still around as late as 1890.

All this help is so much appreciated.

[Just to clarify re earlier posts - The Buildings of ireland date may be in error for Darragville, Kilcoole, as Mary Darragh in her will leaves her house, lands and demesene to George Newton, and the generally accepted date is c.1782. The supposition that George built it in 1830 was based on the BoI, not on a record. This is a matter which will be resolved soon.]

Offline sihuss

• RootsChat Member
  • Dudley Thomas Hussey (1871-1944)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 September 10 23:50 BST (UK) »
The Registry of Deeds also have an entry for the passing of a house on St. Stephen's Green East from John Darragh to Dudley Hussey and his intended wife Susanna, subject to them being married.  I can furnish you with further details of same, if its of interest.

No doubt you have also come across the less than glowing reference in Sir A.H. Giffard's "Who was my Grandfather" (searchable on google books).

My own particular interest is 'Dudley Hussey', or at least the name which is used traditionally for the 1st born male in our Hussey clan - (the origin of which I have yet to uncover).