Author Topic: Newspaper Reports 1870 *COMPLETED*  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Lin Up a Tree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Reports 1870
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 August 10 03:33 BST (UK) »
Well, Yor, I can see why you've had so much trouble locating what happened to WHBjr. I've looked everywhere I can think of & can't find a clear mention of him after 1871 either.

This got me to thinking: maybe there's a more simple explanation..?  Taking into account that he wasn't mentioned in his Dad's 1882 will, and no clues for him outside of England after 1871, I took a closer look at the England death registers for something between 1871-1882.

Obviously there's nothing there for Brusey, but I did find this:

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
Name: Male
Estimated birth year: abt 1849
Year of Registration: 1877
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death: 28
District: Caistor
County: Lincolnshire
Volume: 7a
Page: 426

On one hand, it's a bit of a long shot, right? But on the other hand, if it's not WHBjr, then it's quite a coincidence that there was a 2nd male, at WHBjr's age, whose death was within the same logical timeframe, in the same area where WHBjr lived & where WHBjr's relatives died, who wasn't properly accounted for.

Speaking of coincidences, my own Gx4-Grandfather's story was a similar mystery for me: I couldn't find his death anywhere either after seeing him last in an early census. Until of course I took a similar look at the death indexes, and found a man with all the right details except the surname. Took a punt and ordered the death certificate, and turns out it was him, with the correct surname. There had simply been a mistake in the index, on the actual page, where he'd been grouped with others with an "alphabetically-nearby" surname.

So have you seen this lead yet & ruled it out?
HELLIWELL (Sowerby/Bradford WRY, Wellington NZ, Sydney AU)
>> also West Yorkshire: PARKINSON, RICHARDSON, RAISTRICK,
ACKROYD, BERRY, BREARLEY, BELLHOUSE, DODGSON, BRAYSHAW,
WALTON, MITCHELL, PICKLES, ASHLEY

MARSHALL (Jersey CI, Middlesex, Sydney AU)
BILLINGS / BLACK / SHEPPARD (Essex, Middlesex)

CODDINGTON (Lincolnshire, NSW Australia)

HOWE / HOLMES / BATTERSHILL / KIRTON (Devon)

DUPEYRON / LE MÉE (France, Guernsey CI)
DUFAU / DUBRANA (France)

Offline Yorvick

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • New Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 August 10 05:17 BST (UK) »
Lin,

Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into my "cause"  yes that Male dieing in 1877 sure is a possibility, I wonder who he is - I have had a good look at the image that seems to cover the "U's" and can't spot him in there.  Mind you eyes aren't what they were, and its pretty dark and dismal in Auckland at the mo.  So will check in the morning. 

Some how it feels sort of right, you know that odd affection you get sometimes when looking at a record.  Lol maybe just wishful thinking but very worth pursuing! 

My Dad often spoke of 6 out of his 7 Uncles/Great Uncles drowning honourably at sea (a story he was told as a lad) maybe WHB jnr was one of them, as the family  had a huge mix of fathers, step fathers etc as the widowed women remarried, everyone seemed to be called Uncle this or Uncle that.  But as I said its something I am going to pursue.

I honestly can't thank you enough for your fresh eyes and fresh ideas and taking the trouble to help with something that I am really struggling with.

Take care and thank you

Yor
Forester, Ireland, Lincs and Yorkshire,
Kerss,  Anderson, Cruickshank, Kerss, Crailing and Roxburgh in general, Scotland
Brusey, Penny (Penney) Tuckerman, Short, Doust, Brixham Devon, Lincs and Yorkshire
Pitts, Wells, Corringham, Poland, Screeton, Hazwell, Fussey, Hale, Linklater, Lincs and Yorkshire.
Kent, Ipswich and Lincs
NZ -    Kerss, Watt, Watts, McKinnon, Swan, Irwin, Gordon and Manning

Offline Lin Up a Tree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 August 10 05:26 BST (UK) »
my pleasure, it's been good fun!

btw i know exactly what you mean about not being able to spot the reference in the actual document. looks like it's an errored link. i went to another website (free bmd) to search for that same index reference (used the date, volume, page etc), and had a look at the actual document there.  it's plain as day on that one :*)

best of luck & if you do end up finding anything, would love to hear!  ;D
HELLIWELL (Sowerby/Bradford WRY, Wellington NZ, Sydney AU)
>> also West Yorkshire: PARKINSON, RICHARDSON, RAISTRICK,
ACKROYD, BERRY, BREARLEY, BELLHOUSE, DODGSON, BRAYSHAW,
WALTON, MITCHELL, PICKLES, ASHLEY

MARSHALL (Jersey CI, Middlesex, Sydney AU)
BILLINGS / BLACK / SHEPPARD (Essex, Middlesex)

CODDINGTON (Lincolnshire, NSW Australia)

HOWE / HOLMES / BATTERSHILL / KIRTON (Devon)

DUPEYRON / LE MÉE (France, Guernsey CI)
DUFAU / DUBRANA (France)