Author Topic: Marriage at Montreal Garrison Church  (Read 4332 times)

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
  • Society Street in Hunslet
    • View Profile
Marriage at Montreal Garrison Church
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone could advise me about the Drouin Collection, please.

According to the record on ancestry, my great-great grandparents married at the Garrison Church Montreal on 18th April 1859. Their names were William GODARTH and Mary CARROLL. However, there is no name given for either of their fathers.

I realise there could be a number of reasons for that, but I wonder whether all the information recorded in the original parish register is included in the Drouin records or whether the original marriage record would include the fathers' names?

If the original entry would have more, can someone guide me as to how I would obtain a copy of the original entry, please.

Many thanks,
John

Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage at Montreal Garrison Church
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
These Garrison Church Montreal records are from microfilm at the Montréal archives
http://pistard.banq.qc.ca/apex/f?p=113:11:3368665465034434::NO::P11_CLE:9199
Perhaps they will charge a fee or accept a donation to look up more from the file for you
http://www.banq.qc.ca/a_propos_banq/nous_joindre/index.html

This site has them as
Garrison Anglican Church  1853-1863  Microfilm # 336/8  2021270
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qcmtl-w/AngCHrecords.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I will try and make contact and see whether the Archive will look up further information - if there is any - for me.

Many thanks,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Your family did move about didn't they? Surely makes it tough that they had a name that is not searchable Goddarth/Godarth ... Makes me wonder if they came from an area that pronounced the name that way
I see each child in 1881 born in a different location due to military relocation...
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881BR_5594010

There is this Williama GODDARTH age 18, born 1863 Portsea, Bandsman 2nd Class...  One of the only Goddarths I could find other than a William GODARTH b. 1871 farnham dist. another Wm. death in 1862 and the odd Godderth
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881BR_5850941

posting a link to your thread re: 17th Regiment 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,477550.0.html

I wonder if Mary was really born Ireland or just Irish descent....Did you ever find parents for her? She may have been a military child as well.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 01:00 GMT (UK) »
The image on Ancestry is from the Drouin Collection and would be of the original parish record. If you have looked at this original image I'm sorry to tell you that would be it for info. Garrison marriages tended not to include parents' names, unfortunately, for whatever reason.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 11 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks polarbear, have added that as a notation  for Garrison marriages in the Quebec resources

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for picking up this thread again.

I did follow J.J.'s advice and contacted the Montreal archives who responded very quickly. To quote: "Unfortunately, the names of the parents are never mentioned when it’s a protestant marriage.  The original church register would not contain further information."

The William registered in Farnham in 1871 was a son of my William and Mary but I can't find the William death you refer to in 1862 though - was that from FreeBMD? Godarth/Goddarth/Goderth/Godderth only produces 4 hits for me, all my family.

I haven't found Mary's parents - it could be that she was a Military child as you say, although she did give Cork as her place of birth.

Many thanks,
John

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 February 11 22:43 GMT (UK) »

I can't duplicate that 1862 find so perhaps?? Sorry was maybe going by memory of which I have none...
Maybe this was the one I saw, nowhere near the date....Willm. Godarth  Burial  21 Dec 1693  St. Mary, Stockport, Cheshire, England  / Father John
There is a father Ezekiel Goddarth in an 1862 christening, but turns out to be GODDARD on the freebmd
also an 1855 baptism Lambeth with parents Sarah Goddarth  William Swadling, but I can't find a marriage of this couple
http://search.labs.familysearch.org

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

The William GODDARTH from Portsea does look interesting, although I can't find a birth on FreeBMD.

I suspect you're right that GODDARD was sometimes misheard as GOD(D)ARTH because of the accent. My William seems to have been written as both throughout his life so that, at his death, he is registered as William GODARTH but the funeral card says GODDARD.