Author Topic: Claudia Hopkins & Gordon James  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Cynfelin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Claudia Hopkins & Gordon James
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
Would appreciate help in tracking down the marriage details of Claudia & Gordon. Claudia became a naturalized citizen of Canada in 1920.

The pair lived at 12114 93 St., Edmonton, Alberta.

She arrived in Edmonton in 1919.

Thank you.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Claudia Hopkins & Gordon James
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:27 BST (UK) »
Here are burial dates & cemetery detailsfor the couple...perhaps you may find an obit with this information, but you will not find a marriage in Edmonton, as BMDs not readily available there...and searches mean $
Claudia James   10/2/1952   BEECHMOUNT  0337  0015
Gordon James     10/29/1958 BEECHMOUNT   0337 0014

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
Guess what I think you may have the wrong address...as here is a James surname living at that number only on 95th....
http://www.canada411.ca/search/si/1/james/+Edmonton%2C+Alberta
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
If you can find Claudia's entry into Canada in 1919, then that might narrow things down (she might even be listed as heading to meet Gordon and get married).  
You can look at old Edmonton newspapers through this site: http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/newspapr/
There are also a lot of old directories listed here: http://sites.google.com/site/onlinedirectorysite/Home/can/ab/edmonton

(note: if she was British-born then there would be no need for her to "naturalise")
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cynfelin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your message. I have collected quite a lot of  information on Claudia e.g. she was a columnist at the local newspaper in Edmonton, her column was called " Sparks from the health Anvil" reduced to "Sparks". She wrote a book " Herbs and the Fountain of Youth" She gave music lessons and was a vocalist. So the only part missing is her marriage date, and the name of the newspaper would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Claudia travelled first to relatives in Illinois.

New York Passenger List and Canadian Passenger List Entries

Name: Claudia Hopkins  Born 1887 Llangennech. Wales. Aged 32 years. Single
Port of Departure: Southampton to New York (IN TRANSIT) Arriving 17 Oct 1919
on the SS Adriatic.
Occupation Teacher. Travelling to Brother David Street. Granite City Illinois expected to stay 2 weeks.

The Border Crossing US to Canada The record/image is so faded that the transcription gives her date of birth as 1907 and age 12 but should be 32 years and she is travelling to be married. The birth location could start LLan  ??? Had $100

Name: Claudia Hopkins Born about 1907 Aged 12

Arrival Port: Emerson, Manitoba
Date of Arrival: 19 Nov 1919 
Birth Location: Samth ??  ???

Citizenship: British
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Cynfelin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Spot on with your find. Yes, she was born in 1887 at Llangennech, Llanelly, South Wales. Her brother William John Hopkins had immigrated to USA in 1898 to work in Granite City.

How good to have these extra bits and bobs about my family.

Thank You.

What else will you find for me ! :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that was my small contribution to Claudia as JJ said in a previous reply it is unlikely you will find the marriage in Edmonton.

William John Hopkins is a different "kettle" of fish - he shows on US Census in Granite City with his wife and 4 daughters so if you have'nt already it would be possible to get information on them ?

Regards
Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Cynfelin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
I hold quite a bit of information on William John Hopkins and his four daughters, Blodwen, Ruth, Dorothy and Mary.

Blodwen married; Mary and Dorothy remained single but, I just cannot find what became of Ruth :(

If she ever married I just do not know where to start looking for her, although from family letters a Ruth is mentioned living in New Jersey, but to date no luck with my searches and identifying her as being my missing link :'(

Thanks a lot for your help

By the way William John Hopkins had a fine tenor voice and won the tenor solo at the Chicago eisteddfod in 1911 and was hired to sing at the St Louis Festival the following year; if only I could find out at what festival and more about him. To date no luck!