Author Topic: Help/look-up John Murray  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help/look-up John Murray
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 February 22 18:37 GMT (UK) »

Every so often I try and trace my grandfather who was a mystery.

On my fathers birth certificate father is shown as John William Murray, electrical engineer.

My grandmother was always secretive about the identity of my grandfather

Hello and welcome  :)

Can I ask did your grandparents marry? If so, do you know when & where?

On your father's birth certificate was it his mother who registered the birth?

This may have no connection to your Murray family but I thought I'd post there is a
John Murray(no middle name) on 1911c in London living with his married brother they are
both born in Scotland, John's occupation is an electrical engineer & brother occ Artist
1911c https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW26-WDH

Looking at his brother from 1911 census he  married 19 Aug 1909 Rose Emily Petty, his occ Artist
father William Alexander ??nty Murray, occ cabinet maker

another marriage 1925 for a
Daisy Sproat Murray 26, father William Alexander Minty Murray, occ furnisher
one witness George Murray

John Murray is in Scotland in 1901 his occ cabinetmaker apprentice as is his father William they are living Beecroft, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland

William Alex Minty Murray   Head   1849   Cabinetmaker apprentice Portsoy, Banffshire, Scotland
Margaret Ann   Murray   Wife   1862   -   Portsoy, Banffshire, Scotland
JOHN   Murray   Son   1884   Cabinetmaker apprentice Portsoy, Banffshire, Scotland
Charlotte Elsie   Murray   Daughter   1886   Scholar   Portsoy, Banffshire, Scotland
Francis Arnold   Murray   Son   1888   Scholar   Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland
David Wood   Murray   Son   1893   Scholar   Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland
Mary Jane   Murray   Daughter   1894   Scholar   Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland
Emma Brazier   Murray   Daughter   1896   Scholar   Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland
Daisy Spreat   Murray   Daughter   1899 Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland

I was wondering if it might be a second marriage for William Alexander Minty Murray
as one son David has middle name Wood

William is a widower on 1891c looks as if he may have married Margaret Ann Wood

George Street, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland
William A M   Murray   Head   Widower   1849   Cabinet maker & upholsterer Banffshire, Scotland
William G   Murray   Son   Unmarried   1878   Scholar   Banffshire, Scotland
Jessie Ann   Murray   Daughter   -   1880   Scholar   Banffshire, Scotland
John   Murray   Son   -   1884   Scholar   Banffshire, Scotland
Charlotte E   Murray   Daughter   -   1886   Scholar   Banffshire, Scotland
Francis A   Murray   Son   -   1888   -   Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland
George   Murray   Uncle   Unmarried   1809   Shoemaker (retired)   Banffshire, Scotland
Maggie Ann   Wood Servant Unmarried   1861   General serv (domestic)   Banffshire, Scotland

from SP their marriage entry

MURRAY   WILLIAM ALEXAND   
WOOD   MARGARET ANN   
1892   168/1 7   St Nicholas

Looking at the birth entires on Scotland People there's not one for a John William Murray/William John Murray in Portsoy c1884, so probably a different John Murray to the one you are looking for

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 February 22 21:12 GMT (UK) »
There are numerous family trees for the family you have found, Ladyhawk www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/13039504/person/-124875639/facts (you need a subs to be able to view for those who can access).

This family seems to have moved down to England at some point after the 1901 census. Father William Alexander Minty Murray died on 30 Jan 1920 in Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire. The children seem to have been mostly based in the London and Midlands areas.

The John you found in 1911 with brother married in Bury, Lancashire in 1913 (Florence Lilian Smith). They show in 1939 with one child. John still showing as Electrical Power Engineer. He died I think in 1959 at the age of 76. Possible burial at Gorton Cemetery, Manchester.

This John could have been working in London or visiting his family and met your grandmother???

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 February 22 21:13 GMT (UK) »
What year was your grandmother born in?

Was there any address included for John William Murray on your father's birth registration?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 15:38 GMT (UK) »

On my fathers birth certificate father is shown as John William Murray, electrical engineer.

My grandmother was always secretive about the identity of my grandfather

Hello and welcome  :)

Can I ask did your grandparents marry? If so, do you know when & where?

On your father's birth certificate was it his mother who registered the birth?

My father who was born on May 3rd 1924 never knew him. I recently found the census details for the address where my grandmother lived in 1921. 140 Warwick Street London SW1.
What year was your grandmother born in?

Was there any address included for John William Murray on your father's birth registration?

murray165

You have not mentioned the names of your father or grandmother so I’m assuming you would prefer to keep their names private. I couldn't send you a personal message via Rootschat PM system as you need to make a couple of further posts to the thread.

You mentioned you have looked at the 1921 census and thought your Murray grandfather may have been renting a rooms from your Adams grandfather. You don't mention if you tried looking for a John William Murray elsewhere.

Using the advanced search on the latest census
surname Murray
First name John
occupation electrical engineer
county London,

Only one John Murray (no middle name) showing with occ electrical engineer he is

John Murray born 1884 Cheshire Parish Lambeth if you hoover over the record transcript
John, Ellen, Margaret & 9 others are on this record. Using the advanced criteria it would appear that
Ellen born 1888 Chelmsford Essex and Margaret born 1911 Chelmsford Essex

Further investigation of the above show birth Chelmsford Margaret Ellen Murray mmn is Parkhurst (GRO Indexes). More Murray children births registered in Chelmsford and then in Lambeth from 1912 - 1922 (mmn Parkhurst). An index of their 1910 marriage has a middle name of Glassford. On 1911c his occupation is an electrical engineer, married and a visitor in Devonport. So it's probable that you can rule this John Murray out  ??? For info.... from the London Electoral Register
Year 1918 - 1927 their address 193 Casewick Road, Lambeth. Year 1931 Electoral Register Ellen is on her own 193 Casewick Road and from 1934 living
30 Lamberhurst Road, Ellen was a widow in 1939. John's death registered Dec 1928 Lambeth died age 42

Can give further details of censuses, baptisms, marriage index, children's names if you feel the information is relevant
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk