Author Topic: Omnibus Accident  (Read 3332 times)

Offline chalkley73

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Omnibus Accident
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was killed by an Omnibus after being knocked into the road by children in Green Street Bethnal Green on 27/08/1890.

I have the death certificate i just wonder if there is any newspaper articals relating to it

regards

Kevin

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Omnibus Accident
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin

I've had a quick look at The Times, but no joy I'm afraid.

If you give me her full name I might have more luck?

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

London was an extremely big city with many deaths, accidents, suicides etc on a daily basis. It is more likely that a local newspaper would have reported the inquest. Tower Hamlets Archives will hold local newspapers for the area. As you know the exact date of the inquest from the death certificate it might be worth contacting them and requesting a search of the newspapers they hold

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/leisure_and_culture/local_history__archives.aspx

Regards

Valda

Offline chalkley73

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 August 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
Oh yes a name would help i guess  ::)

Her name was Martha Chalkley

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 August 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/
looks like there is a mention in Reynold's Newspaper, Sunday, August 31, 1890. (just searched on Chalkley and the date).

You would have to pay to access the full article (or see if you can access it at your local library, some have access to these databases). Her name is listed here as "Martha Eliza Chalkley", and the article is headed "A FATAL JOKE".

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 10 01:00 BST (UK) »
Oh yes a name would help i guess  ::)

Her name was Martha Chalkley

Still can't find anything in The Times, even though this sort of incident was often reported.

The item found by Jorose seems like your best bet.

Dave

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 10 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can never tell what a national or a whole London paper will pick up and how much print space they will give it. Local newspapers tend to make it a bigger news item because of course it is going to be of more interest to their readership. Other newspapers may then take it from that original source.

Regards

Valda

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 August 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
My g uncle was killed by an omnibus in Fulham whilst he was on his errand bike. Having the death cert with exact date I contacted the Fulham Archives who photocopied the coroners report from the newspaper and sent it to me.
How about approaching a couple of record offices and see if they can help.Like Fulham there may be a small archive in that area.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

The advice about contacting Tower Hamlets Archives (plus link) has been suggested in a previous post. Tower Hamlet Archives service is the local London borough which covers the area of Bethnal Green so they would hold the local newspapers for the area like 

The Hackney Standard, Bethnal Green and Shoreditch Chronicle

Survival rates of Coroners records themselves are much more problematical
see the London Metropolitan Guide

http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/B4AD8012-54EA-4A38-BD3D-273ABB331498/0/41CORONERSRECORDSFORLONDONANDMIDDLESEX.pdf

Regards

Valda