Author Topic: church records  (Read 14973 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: church records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 August 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
I think I'd try that birth record anyway to see what it says... not many Davis families in Co. Wicklow, and how many James Davis births would there be in the same district in that year ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 August 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help I will contact them tomorrow for copy of birth cert  could be a wll kept secret or suprise coming my way maybe.  Just hope I can get a bit further back , at least to his parents and grandparents I think that will do for me.  Once again thank you for your help you have been brilliant I will let you know the outcome and will see if there is anyway I can contact the church as I am not sure if I am able to come this year.  THANKS

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
If you still need to look at baptisms, I'd try Aughrim as well as Avoca - is Rathdrum a bit far from Cloneen?
And maybe Greenane (though I think it's not a parish- it's part of Rathdrum parish)

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 August 10 08:42 BST (UK) »
It looks like Cloneen is right in the the middle of all these places - see google map Cloneen to Rathdrum to Avoca to Aughrim

Based on to the townland database (www.thecore.com/seanruad) the Civil parish for Cloneen is Ballykine, and according to both Ryan's and the Irish Times family history website, this should be included in Rathdrum RC parish.

There are some contact details for Rathdrum parish community group at this link. They may be able to tell you how to contact the parish priest.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 August 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
thanks to you all did find an unexpected suprise still taking it in

But I have contacted the priest at Rathdrum who has asked me to put my request in writing am unsure if they have parish records for all catholic churches ie aughrim  as well but will have to wait and see.  Need to digest the info from the birth certificate.

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 September 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am now ready to go ahead and find out anymore info about my dad if possible.  Thanks to your help I found his birth cert and was a upset a little on his behalf as apparently his mother waS his grand mother and so his brothers and sisters were really his aunts and uncles.  His ( eldest sister ) was his mother with father not on his birth cert.  I have tried to find out more from  a relative but was told it was never spoken about in the family but the mother was not allowed back in the family house??  Does anyone know where these unmarried mothers went to in this area or Dublin in 1910 and is there anyway of finding out about missing fathers did they pay maintenance or would a babtismal cert show anything) I do wonder why the grandparents took hbim back and why pretend he was their own child.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 September 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
I dont believe there was any requirement to pay maintenance, although I have heard of cases where unofficial payments were made, but always for reasonably wealthy people.

It's possibly worth chasing up a baptism cert., as there's a small chance that the priest may have added some sort note or even listed a suspected father.

my guess (and it is only that), is that if James mother had to fend for herself she would have moved outside the area and looked for work - possibly in Dublin ?  I seen quite a few occurrences (in my own ancestors and other) of Wicklow girls ending up working in Dublin as house staff etc.

I have heard of similar situations to this before, sometimes the young mother stays with the family, other times they end up leaving - or being asked to leave.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 September 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
I've known a few cases where the grandmother brought up a child as her own, it's not unheard of.   No need to be upset about it and to be honest I think these families showed real 'family spirit' keeping their own within the fold.  Sadly there were many given up for adoption.  :-[

It would be much more difficult to trace your family tree if your dad had been adopted out.    ;)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 September 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
thanks for info hopefully the church may come back to me.  I am just upset that I did,nt know all the information before my dad passed away.  I just hope his mom had a good life and not like the stories you read.   this is so interesting i wish i had been interested years ago. you guys are greawt with your help   thanks