Author Topic: They came, and dissappeared ...*COMPLETED*  (Read 5234 times)

Online mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: They came, and dissappeared ...
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 September 10 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Suzy

Yes, I've tried Papers Past, and the AtoJs as well. I've retrieved over 2600 pages with Stonyer references, and I'm currently analysing them. Most are advertisements that appear day after day, but there's some "juicy" stuff too  :o
Sadly, Joseph and Martha don't appear. William John and his family do, as does, tragically, his brother Richard, who drowned in the Opihi.

I also tried to find UK incoming passenger lists, but these don't seem to start until 1878, and I'm looking at the period 1863 to 1871. So, does anyone know if there are any existing passenger lists for people travelling from NZ to the UK during that time, and if so, where do I find them?

I did find a list with entries for a Mr and Mrs J Stonyer travelling from Dunedin to Australia in 1914, though, but the birth dates don't match any Stonyers that I have. There's no image to check, so I can't tell if it's a mis-transcription  :(
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: They came, and dissappeared ...
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 September 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
You may have to wait for the new comprehensive passenger list, that was meant to of been available on NZ Archives at the beginning of the year. 
This was done by a lovely couple who worked for nothing.  They have added many names and in-coming and out-going ships that have not been on any data base before.....Sadly nothing has shown yet :-[
Is there any readers out there who know's when this resource is available?

Cheers
Suzy W

TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add