Author Topic: Thomas and Job WILLCOX  (Read 3569 times)

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas and Job WILLCOX
« on: Saturday 21 August 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out about Thomas and Job Willcox, I believe they may have been from Peasdown St John, they had a brother called Charles (b1887 - d1935). My partners grandfather was named after them both.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please
Many thanks

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Job WILLCOX
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 August 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Menwuk,

I've been unable to locate a Charles Willcox b.1887 with brothers Thomas and Job. On FreeBMD there is no birth record of Charles Willcox c.1887 in the county of Somerset. 

There is however a Charles Willcox b.1881 with brothers Charles and Thomas (it looks as if he was actually born Jasper Thomas) living (1891 and 1901 census) and born in Peasedown St John.

1891 census - RG12/1928/24/41 Living in Camerton/Peasedown St John,

Job Willcox head, age 31, coal miner, b. Camerton
Sarah, wife age 33, b. Radstock
Charles, son age 10, b. Camerton
Jasper T, son age 8, b. Camerton
Job, son age 6, b. Camerton
Elizabeth, dau, age 4, b. Camerton,
Rosa, dau, age 2, b. Camerton
Ann, dau, age 1, b. Camerton

1901 census for the same family but Charles is missing - RG13/2335/132/33 Living at 9 Fairfield Cotts, Camerton and Peasedown St John

Job Willcox head, age 42, coal miner hewer, b. Peasedown
Sarah, wife, age 45, b. Radstock
Thomas, son, age 18, coal miner below b. Peasedown (Jasper T from the 1891 census)
Job, son, age 16, coal minert below, b. Peasedown
Lizzie, dau, age 14, b. Peasedown
Annie, dau, age 11 b. Peasedown
Frances, dau age 9, b. Peasedown
Kate, dau, age 7, b. Peasedown
Ada dau, age 4, b. Peasedown

Do you think that this is the family you are looking for? If so we can then build a picture from there.

Regards

JJ

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks JJ
it looks highly likely these are ours,
we need to collate this into what we have already.

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Just wondering about the age of Sarah in the 2 entries - 12 years instead of 10 ?
A one year difference could be accounted for if cencus readings were taken on different days of the year, but 2 years difference.
Could this have been a transcription error, a different wife of the same name, the family not knowing the true d.o.b of Sarah.... guess apart from the transcription error which would be easy enough to check we would have to find more out about Sarah or the 2 Sarahs.

It all seems to fit except Charles age (which we could have wrong int he first place), esp as the family are known to be coal miners.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've had a look at each census image and see that the ages of Sarah have been transcribed correctly. Sometimes there can be slight anomalies in age from one census to another.

There is only one marriage of a Job Willcox in the timeframe of Mar 1880 to Dec 1901 within Somerset - Job Willcox and a Sarah Heal appear on the same page June 1880 Bath, 5c 938. Therefore it is very unlikely that Job married twice.

This looks like the burial records for Job and Sarah Willcox -
Job Willcox, 13 Dec 1909, age 50, St John, Baptist. Peasedown.
Sarah Willcox 21 Feb 1922, age 65, St John, Baptist, Peasedown

On the censuses for Charles, his birth year is always 1881. If you look at FreeBMD you will be able to see that there is no recorded births of a Charles Willcox in 1887, Somerset. I can see a death record of a Charles Willcox, age 55,  Dec 1936, Bathavon, 5c 594. Would this be your Charles as that could confirm his birth year? You may have to order some certificates to clarify the situation. 

Hope some of the above is of help.  :)

Regards

JJ

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 August 10 23:16 BST (UK) »
This is brilliant JJ,
I think we have a copy of charles's death certificate at my better halfs mothers house, we need to dig it out.
The spooky thing is Sarah, my other halfs best friends husband shares that surname, he lives in and his family is from Radstock just up the road from the Wilcox's abode......

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 August 10 23:29 BST (UK) »
I have just searched freebmd for Rosa,
I can find no records of a Rosa Willcoxs death between 1891 and 1901 so I wonder where she went between the 2 census.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
This looks like the 1901 census for Rosa -

RG13/2341/94/12 - Living at 19 Prospect Pl, Bath

Mary A Holmes head, wid, age 55, dressmaker, b. Bath
John Holmes grandson, age 3, b. Bath
Alicia M M Holmes S in law, age 39, school mistress, b. Bath
Rose Wilcox age 13, general servant (domestic) b. Peasedown St John

On FreeBMD there is a marriage of a Rosa Willcox Sep 1910, Bath. The groom's name being either Herbert H Chapman or William J Robbins.
There are four births with the name Robbins born in Bath between the years 1914-1924 with the mother's name being Willcox. Therefore it looks most likely that Rosa married William J Robbins.

Have you found Charles on the 1901 census? If not I'll be happy to post the details - he appears to be living in Monmouth with a family called Lewis of which the head of the family was born in Camerton, Somerset.

I'll be interested to know what you find out from Charles' death certificate, which hopefully will clarify some details.

Regards

JJ

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 August 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks JJ,
No I havent found Charles yet,
been away a couple of days just getting back into things, the info you are providing is excellent thanks
I have been looking at Sarah Heal, thought I had a lead from a birth in Harptree, confused me a little as ther were 2 sarah ann's born to what appeared to be the same family (same mothers maiden name) 1850 and 1858, I found a death record of the 1858 birth for the same year but not the first (until I did a soundex search and found one with and one without an e on the end of Heal. Still plodding on that front.

Charles is the direct ancestor of my partner so this is proving really helpful.