Author Topic: 1970s Toddington  (Read 4166 times)

Offline MaccaAddison

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1970s Toddington
« on: Sunday 22 August 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is a bit of a curve ball request here, I remember my late Nan & Grandad - Ernest & Daisy (Violet) Evans visiting relatives (i presume) in Toddington every now and then.

My family originated from Toddington but a few generations back moved to Reading and became Bakers.

I know its a wide one but anybody out there related.

cheers

Mark

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
Re: 1970s Toddington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 August 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Are Evans & Baker the two names you're researching? if so do you have any christian names apart from your late grandparents?

Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline MaccaAddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 10 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi China Charlie

Thanks for getting in touch. As such I don't really know who i am researching. My late grandparents visited Todddington every now and then and they were not prone to long distances so it was an event for them to travel.

I have traced my family back to Toddington. My Grandad, Ernest Norman Evans dad, George Evans came from Toddington but moved to Reading (not sure as to why). his dad was William Evans and so it goes on. George Evans was born in 1870, William in 1833.

Evans seems to have been a popular name in Toddington and I can see that there are still Evans locally.

They must have been visiting some relatives - i just wish i knew who.

So i suppose I am trying to bring forward the line forward to some relatives living now in Toddington that perhaps were related to those that they were visiting.

I hope I am being clear - fear not though.

Thanks

Mark

Ps The Baker bit was his occupation

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Ok Mark,

Evans is also a name that i have some interest in as my great grandmother Ann Hucklesby married a George Evans in December 1901, i would like to find out more as there is a bit of a mystery surrounding her death! i will apply for her death cert asap.
 I was born in Toddington in 1964 and the only Evans that i can remember were the owners of the butchers shop along the Leighton Road, it was a family business but i only ever knew the two brothers that ran it and their names were Trevor Evans and Tim ( Timothy ) Evans, but to be honest i'm not sure if either brother married and had families, Trevor died many years ago but i'm not sure about Tim as i moved away from the village and lost touch with a lot of people.

Regards

china
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;

Offline MaccaAddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi China

Lets hope there is somebody that uses Roots Chat that can help us both out.

Perhaps the butcher brothers or their family was who my nan and granddad were visiting, although somebody in the family seems to think there was a farm involved.

My George Evans was born 1870 and married an Alice in Reading so not the one you are looking for.

What was Toddington like then to grow up in, I am beginning to get a big sense of connection with the place with so many of my ancestors coming from there. In fact my son (12) are thinking of visiting this week during the school holiday.

If I get any info on George (yours) I will let you know, do you know when he was born and who his parents were etc

Regards

Mark

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I don't ever recall any Evans living on farms in the area as we as kids used to work on the farms in and around the village during the school holidays to earn a bit of pocket money, but, i do know that the butchers that i mentioned before used to have livestock pens at the rear and also it's own abattoir.

The George Evans that married my nan was born around 1868 but i'm not sure of his parents, 'll have to check it out,  my nan was his housekeeper up until late 1901 when they married. It's strange because Toddington back then was a really tiny village but there seems to be more George Evans's living there than anywhere else on the planet!!!

Growing up in Toddington was absolutely fantastic, idyllic, as kids we would do everything that kids could do, it was like something straight out  of an Enid Blyton book. The school summer holidays were the best because we used to help with the bale-cart during the harvest and do a bit of potato picking or pea picking, there was always a way of earning a bit of pocket money. We had a village bobby who clipped us around the ear if we stepped out of line and we always called our elders Mr or Mrs,.. i could go on and on.....but i reccomend you visit the village and espescially the old water pump on the green as that's where all of our ancestors got there water from, as piped water didn't arrive in Toddington until the mid 1940's.

Kind Regards

china

Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;

Offline MaccaAddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi China (interesting nickname)

Your recollections of Toddington sound fantastic - have you moved a long way from Toddington then - perhaps China.

If you are able to find out your George Evans parents, I will check my family tree for connections etc

I am definitely going to visit - just a general one initially to have a look around.

Cheers

Mark

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
OK Mark,

I'll get back to you with George's parents name's asap.
                                                                                                                                                                          I live in the midlands now although i still have a lot of family in and around Toddington, my mum was born in the village in 1933 and she still lives there now, and yes, my nickname is interesting, isn't it?......... ??? ??? ;)

Regards

china

Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;

Offline MaccaAddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 August 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Cheers

Yes, let me know re George

No news on the nickname other than its interesting.... which is interesting in itself!!!

Midlands - where I work - Birmingham. Although I now live in Derbyshire - a long way from Reading.

Look forward to hearing from you Doulton (as in China)

Mark