Author Topic: Dundee East enumeration districts  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Vieen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dundee East enumeration districts
« on: Sunday 22 August 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've been researching the Stobswell area of Dundee in the late 1800s for some time now and am stuck trying to a) find a definition of the Stobswell area and b) trying in general to find definition of the enumeration districts of Dundee.

Can any one help me out - point me in the direction of some (online preferably) resources.  Dundee Library and city archives couldn't help much surprisingly.

Thanks!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee East enumeration districts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 August 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
I've been researching the Stobswell area of Dundee in the late 1800s for some time now and am stuck trying to a) find a definition of the Stobswell area and b) trying in general to find definition of the enumeration districts of Dundee.

Every census enumeration book starts with a detailed description of the area it covers. I don't think you can view these on the Scotland's People web site, but you can view them on the microfilms which are widely available. (I'd be very pleased to be told that I am wrong and where they can be viewed online ;-)

If you are in Dundee, go back to the library, or to the Family History Shop in Princes Street, take out the films, and you will be able to read and transcribe the ED descriptions. If you are not in Dundee, go to your nearest LDS Church Family History Centre where you can order and eventually view the relevant films for a small fee. There is a list of LDS FHCs on www.familysearch.org

Don't assume that an ED with the same number will have the same boundaries in a different census, by the way.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee East enumeration districts
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
If you click on "View Free Header" (beside the "Close Viewer" button), you can read the description of the ED.

Tim