Author Topic: 1911 census on genes  (Read 3937 times)

Offline post office Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 census on genes
« on: Sunday 22 August 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
I used to subscribe to Genes Reunited but my membership lapsed ages ago because I found ancestry.com much easier to use. As it doesn't look like ancestry will have access to the 1911 census, and I find the 1911online site a bit hit and miss can anyone tell me whether it would be worth re-subscribing to genes so that I can get unlimited access to the 1911 census? Many thanks, Kate.
looking for Goodings and Whaymans of Suffolk, Harpers of Buckinghamshire and Warwickshire, Jacques of Leicestershire and Hudds and Pontings of Gloucestershire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census on genes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 August 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
It is still the same 1911 on-line site  :)
 brightsolid today announced it is to acquire Friends Reunited Group from ITV plc for £25 million. The completion of the deal is subject to clearance by the competition authorities.
The acquisition of Friends Reunited Group would create Britain's leading genealogy business by bringing together Genes Reunited and findmypast.com (which operate the official 1901 and 1911 Census websites respectively in association with The National Archives) and ScotlandsPeople in partnership with General Register Office for Scotland, the National Archives of Scotland and the Court of the Lord Lyon.
http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/GenesReunited.asp?wci=grstatic&type=PressReleases_brightsolid

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Now that is interesting Stan - thank you very much.   As someone who has a subscription to FindmyPast as well as Ancestry and who dithers each year if both are financially justified, a tree on Genes Reunited, and always seems to be buying credits to search Scotland's People, I await with bated breath to see if that makes my life cheaper - or more expensive!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 09:22 BST (UK) »
Unless your family tree is huge, or you are researching more than one tree, then a 6 month sub to FindMyPast should be all you need for the 1911 census.  After all, going back to 1911 will mean grandparents or g. grandparents to most of us, and you've only got 8 of the latter.  I took out a 12 month sub to FindMyPast, and (to be honest) I think it would have been cheaper for me to use PPV, because I've only used it about 30 times (although I did pay for about 10 records by PPV before yearly subs were available).   

In my humble opinion, the searches on Ancestry are miles better than FindMyPast - I proved this at the weekend when I typed my g.g. grandfather's details into the search engine of both.  The Ancestry search came back with all the census records of those matching my details, along with full BMD lookups, marriage records and banns (he lived in London), and links to other people's trees.  On FindMyPast, all I got was a list of records that I could manually wade through.  No contest, as far as I'm concerned.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
Nick - Are you on commission for recommending Ancestry, you do seem to plug it a lot?  I have both FindMyPast and Ancestry and find that FindMyPast is better for some records and Ancestry for others.

As some other Rootschatter will no doubt comment, there have been many discussions on which is the best site.

Lizzie

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Nick - Are you on commission for recommending Ancestry, you do seem to plug it a lot? 

No, I'm not.  I have subscriptions to FindMyPast, Ancestry and The Genealogist, and I use all 3 regularly.  Do you ?

I am expressing my own opinion, which I'm entitled to do, and my opinion is based on experience.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sr30765

• RootsChat Extra
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
I agree with Nick, Ancestry search is way ahead of FindMyPast.

As a thought, I assume most records offices have access to the 1911 census by now, so pay them a visit to check out and you may get it for free
Our motto - "Know the truth not live a lie"

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 August 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have subscriptions to FindMyPast, Ancestry and The Genealogist, and I use all 3 regularly.  Do you ?

I'm only have subs to FindMyPast and Ancestry but I do use them regularly, every day in fact but as I said I find FindMyPast better for some things and Ancestry for others - and that's my opinion. ;D

Lizzie

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 August 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
as I said I find FindMyPast better for some things and Ancestry for others - and that's my opinion. ;D

It's my opinion too  ;D

And, as I've said before, these discussions just go round and round and round in circles.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,468475.msg3302271.html#msg3302271

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk