Author Topic: Family research  (Read 5787 times)

Offline lizlyon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family research
« on: Monday 23 August 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that anyone can help me on this query.   I have an envelope in amongst family possessions which is addressed to my Great Grandfather.  The envelope has got a picture of some yellow flying birds on it with The Chemical Union Ltd  Ipswich written on the bottom.  On the back is the inscription J.Lane, Florist, The Broadway, Leyton.   Also on the back, my G.Grandfather has written ' Sent Joe £10 Jan 22nd 1904'.  The postmark isn't very clear but you can see Jan 21st fairly clearly.  I've always understood that this was my G.Grandfather's younger brother who was called Joseph, but during research I've discovered that , in fact younger brother was a Schoolmaster and almost certainly didn't own a Florist Shop in Leyton!!  However, Joseph also had a son called Joseph, could it be possible that it was this Joseph who was sent the £10 by his uncle.  The family came from Winscombe in Somerset.  I simply don't know anything at all about young Joe except that he was born in 1879 and had two brothers Arthur and Benjamin, and that his mother's name was Lucy, and she came from Margate!  If anyone could throw any light on this 'envelope' I would be very grateful, Thankyou.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family research
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
I reckon it has no significance!
It must have been sent to great grandfather, if addressed to him. Maybe he had ordered some flowers and they sent a bill, or something.
Then someone (may have been him, or may not) used the old envelpe as scrap paper to write themself a note to remind themself that they had sent Joe £10. Joe could be anyone, related or not. The writer could be anyone (unless yuo know the writing)!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, just reread - the env seems to be from the Chemical company, not the florist.
Same principle applies though.
Is the florist address handwritten ?
Maybe the envelope had been used twice to write notes - once to jot down a florist address and once for the reminder about Joe's £10
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
My take was somewhat different.  The £10 was sent to Joe for (or in part payment for) a wreath at a funeral that he couldn't attend.  Someone worked for the Chemical Union, but I can't even find it on Google.  Mind you, £10 would have bought a lot of flowers at that time !  :)

P.S. Found something on the Chemical Union - http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/23392/canary-guano-advertising-postcard/

P.P.S. Maybe the envelopes were a "Freebie" from the Chemical Union, and used by the Florist ?
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizlyon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. Am just about to investigate the website as the envelope has Canary Guano written on the front along with the Chemical Co.  J.Lane etc written on the back is printed, while the name and address on the front is written, as is the message on the back' Sent Joe etc. Is it possible to find out if there was a Florist Shop called J.Lane, in The Broadway, Leyton in  1904?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 August 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
historical directories should be able to tell you that

my first port of call would be historicaldirectories.org

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 August 10 20:11 BST (UK) »

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline lizlyon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
I would just like to say how brilliant you researchers are on this site, so a BIG thankyou for all your help and interest.  Every snippett for me is of interest, and any help to run that wretched (!) Florist Shop and it's 'owner' to earth is really welcome.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
I'm still working on the florist  :)   No sign of him/her in the Essex PO Trade directories 1898 and 1906.

Any chance of you scanning the envelope and posting it here ?

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.