Author Topic: FreckNeale's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 11946 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FreckNeale's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
I have checked all the directories on that site, but couldn't find David. I'm not sure whether Southwell was a big enough place to have a street directory.
Southwell would have come under the biggest nearest town and not all directories are on historical directories site, they are some held at the County RO

re the workhouse, have you looked at workhouse.org?

what do you think of Charles Steward Johnson coming from elsewhere than Nottingham? if only we can find a record of one anywhere

did you say you had seen the actual entry of Henry christening in the parish register or just a transcription?

i still think you should order yourself a copy of the Frances Johnson death found in your other thread if only to rule her out.

You say Frances was also known as Fanny, so that gives another avenue to look for her.

Barnabas Williamson is herein 1841
 HO107;  866; : 13;  7;  8;
and 1851
HO107;  2135;  309;  12;
RG9;  2474;  84; : 21;
RG10; : 3537; 7;  7;

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
Toni Thanks for Barnabas Williamson. I had to go out and buy food ;D ;D

I notice in 1841 Barnabas is living next door to a Henry Johnson age 65.

I do think it's odd Frances wasn't a witness at either Henry or Sarah's marriages.
It does suggest to me she wasn't around, either dead, left the area or perhaps in the asylum.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have found the Porters in 1851.

HO107; Piece: 2132; Folio: 61; Page: 16;

Interestingly they have a Mary Ann Freaknells age 18 born Nottinham, servant as a visitor.

Sarah's daughter?

Thomas is 56 Ann 36 so a second marriage for him by the look of it..
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
Barnabas seems to be a neighbour
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
does Davids will describe Charles occupation?

Jaywit do you think Charles could be from elsewhere other than Nottingham i found Steward & Johnson marriages before
so he coyuld have been born Steward and his mother married a Johnson thus making him  Charles Steward or Johnson

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Norwell was and is a small village so everyone would know everyone else.

Why did Henry settle there?

I wondered if there was a family connection, then when I saw that Henry Johnson I hoped I might be on to something.

I have found what I think is Henry's marriage to Mary Smalley in 1799 in North Muskham and the baptism of their first 3 children there.

There are in 1851 possible grown up Johnson children living in Norwell who say born Bathley.

Bathley doesn't have a church it is part of North Muskham parish so that's what made me think the marriage was correct.

I can't see the baptism of the later children, they could have easily taken them elsewhere to be baptised. Caunton for instance is no futher away from Bathley than North Muskham is and those PRs aren't online.

So nothing definate yet.

I have been looking for Thomas Porter's marriage I haven't checked Free BMD yet but I suspect it was before 1837 and St Marys Nottingham aren't online for that period.

So again at the moment no proof the witnesses were related.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 29 August 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks toni & jaywit. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've had limited internet access the past few days.

Next week I will visit the Nottingham Archives, and I will check some of the parish registers, as well as the Sneinton asylum records, to see if I can find any more info about the Frances Johnson there in 1861.

I will order that death certificate of Frances Johnson if my search at the archives is not fruitful.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 10:26 BST (UK) »

It's that time again folks and here's this weeks Scavenger Hunt.......  I'm hoping it will be easy, but I think it might take a while to puzzle this one out    :-\

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,479575.0.html

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

As usual, this Hunt will remain open for any further information which may come in.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 08 April 12 02:35 BST (UK) »
Well, it’s nearly two years since this scavenger hunt, and I’m still hunting for Frances Johnson. I just thought I’d update this thread with info I’ve found –

The Frances Johnson who died in 1883 (mentioned in the first reply) was not my Frances. :( She died 29 May 1883 in the Nottingham Union Workhouse. Tracing her back through the censuses, her husband was Thomas Johnson (d.1877, Nottingham) and they lived variously at Coventry and West Ham before moving to Nottingham. That Frances was actually born Frances Burton in Bethnal Green, London in 1803. Anyway, not my Frances.

There is still a decent chance that this is my Frances in the 1861 census:
1861 census: County Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Snenton, Nottinghamshire (RG9/2459, f 77, p 17)
Frances Johnson, Pauper Lunatic, W, 58, Servant, Notts Newark

I checked the Sneinton Asylum Medical Superintendents book, but there was no mention of Frances. I don’t think any other records of the asylum have survived.

If anyone has any bright ideas I would still very much like to hear them. :D