Author Topic: FreckNeale's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 11948 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FreckNeale's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
This is a tough one
Can't add anything at present
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 15:28 BST (UK) »
with regards to proving Charles Steward / Johnson existence it would occur to me first to look for a death between 1824 & 1841
however we do not know how old Charles was even if he fathered Henry it is possible for a male to father children right up to death whereas we know us woman go through the menopause
so now we come to the question why would Charles use Steward or Johnson?
could he be Steward Johnson?
is there a marriage betwixt a Mr  or Miss Steward and a Mr or Miss Johnson, could Charles himself be illegitimate?
if Charles was of some social standing you would expect him to hold land and i would suggest looking here to begin with for Johnson or Steward in Nottingham:
land tax records 1780- 1832 The land tax was a national tax levied on landowners from the 1690s. Only one complete set of returns for 1798 survives for England and Wales (in the National Archives), but many returns are available in local record offices. The returns (or 'duplicates' as they are often known) were made for each township and record the names of owners and occupiers and the sum to which they were assessed.

~~
what was the reason for the move from Newark to Upton?

~~
re the possible sighting of Frances in the asylum are there other possible Frances that could be?
have you looked here?
1846-1957 Lunatics / Asylum Records
Early in the 19thc a Select Committee of the House of Commons recommended that county asylums be created to house and care for both pauper and criminal lunatics and thus keep them out of gaols and workhouses. Under the County Asylum Act 1808, the first such institution opened in 1811 in Nottingham. Legislation amendments were passed in 1811, 1815 & 1819 to improve administration of the asylums. All counties were required to construct asylums, although many failed to do so. TNA record class MH94 entitled Patients Admission Registers , lists from 1846-1957 all persons admitted to the county asylums, there is one alphabetical index of surnames for each year (by the first letter of surname only) for the whole of England and Wales. The registers also give the name of the asylum with date of admission and discharge or death in the asylum. Up until 1884 each register covers more than one year. Having located a person in the index the patients records (if they survive) should be found in the in the appropriate county or borough record office.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
Toni Upton is virtually Southwell, in fact the postal address for Southwell workhouse is Upton.

Why Frances's father would move from Newark to Southwell?

In the first half of the 19th century Southwell was an up and coming place, always a small town which attracted people with money. As a tailor he would have probably a better chance of making a go of his business.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone for their comments, especially Jaywit & Toni

To answer some of the questions (as best I can  :) ):

The baptism entry for Henry (1824) unfortunately gave no details of the father.

Henry (Frances’s son) was an apprentice tailor in Norwell (near Southwell) in 1841. He was the only of the grandchildren of Frances’s father who was given a special mention in his will – so he probably took after his grandfather.

I could find no other children of Frances/Frances & Charles.

I have looked for bastardy bonds, etc. by emailing the Nottingham archives. They were very kind and did a check under the surnames Johnson, Steward and Frecknall for me, without finding anything. That makes me think that Charles (the father?) stuck around to support the child – and therefore there was no need to go to the parish for support. I will try to make another search of those records in case something was missed.

Where/how would I check poor relief/tithe/land tax records? At Nottingham? I am on holiday in the UK at the moment and am hoping to get to the Nottingham archives in a week or two.

I have tried all the routes for finding a burial of Charles – none that fit in the Upton or Southwell registers. Also I’ve tried looking for a Steward-Johnson marriage with no success. The surname Steward (that spelling) seems relatively uncommon in Notts at the time (at least compared to Johnson).

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure why Frances’s moved from Newark to Upton. I think it may have been her father’s job…he was a tailor and she seemed to move around a lot in her youth. Her eldest siblings were born in Caunton, Notts, the next few in Newark, then one in Southwell, one in Aston on Trent, Derbyshire, and the last back in Newark. At some point between 1808 and 1841 her father & family moved to Southwell. I’m wondering whether Frances’s mother Ann Richardson may have been from Southwell, but this has been an equally big brick wall. Unfortunately I have not been able to find David in any trade directories. I was wondering whether Frances might have been at the Southwell workhouse – hence the reason why she is in the Upton registers, but I believe most workhouse events took place at the Minster.

I’ll put on my list to check the asylum records. It turns out another relative on a different branch ended up there, so I have a reason to take a good look through them.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
have you seen the actual entry for the bp. of Henry or just a transcription?

maybe Henry was specially mentioned in Davids will because a) he was the eldest grandchild or b) the other grandchildren had fathers to provide for them and Henry didnt or c) HEnry lived with David and learned his trade and the other grandchildren didn't.

re bastardy bonds if Charles didnt support Henry, maybe he wasnt his or maybe Frances was financially in the position not to apply for maintenance i.e. David supported them?

re landowners records and tithe maps i am not sure what is held directly at Nottingham and what is held at The National Archives maybe it would be best to contact Nottingham RO and ask them, you want e records and tithe covering Upton

David may not appear in the trade directories as i think you had to pay for an advert but he may appear in the street directories have you tried these?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Now this is interesting.

The big workhouse at Southwell/Upton wasn't built until the 1830's before that there was a much smaller building in Southwell and then I found this on the Workhouses website.

The Thurgarton Hundred Incorporation workhouse at Upton opened in December 1824. The new building cost £6,596 to construct and was much larger than the one at Southwell, accommodating up to 158 inmates. Its plan was also later published in The Anti-pauper System.

The Thurgaton Hundred covered villages surrounding Southwell but not Southwell itself.

Have you actually seen the PR for Henry's baptism?

Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Did Frances work? what did she do where did she work?
she was of Upton in 1824 and of Newark in 1803 but where was she between those times and what was she doing?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile