Author Topic: Early Wedding certificate?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
  • Rossiter / Cohen / Cummins / Rubenstein / Lord
    • View Profile
Early Wedding certificate?
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've managed to find a copy of my GGGGG Grandparents (Christopher Rossiter b.1745) wedding record (1767) at the Westminster Archives (for St Martins in the Field). Unfortunetly, it doesn't contain the names of their parents (I think its just the register entry) so I've come to a dead end.

Did they actually issue certificates in those days? I checked the GRO website but I could see the available date range anywhere.

I'm going to try searching for his Baptism record at some point but I thought I'd check for the certificate too. After checking St Martins in the Field and St Clement Danes, I am now going to check St Giles in the Field at the LMA.

Thanks in advance

talktonite
Rossiter / Cohen / Cummins / Rubenstein / Lord

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Early Wedding certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificates (along with birth and death certificates) were introduced as part of the civil registration system in England and Wales, which came into force on 1 July 1837.  So before this you have to rely on entries in the parish registers.

There is a summary here of what you can expect to see in parish register entries prior to this date here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,54385.0.html

So, in 1767, I'm afraid you will not find the parents' names on marriage records.  But the witness names might give a clue.

Can you work backwards from their age at death to get a rough idea of their birth dates?  Have you looked at the IGI to see if there are any possible candidates in the right area which you can then investigate?  Wills might also help, if they left any.

Just some suggestions.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 12:19 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificates (along with birth and death certificates) were introduced as part of the civil registration system in England and Wales, which came into force on 1 July 1837.  So before this you have to rely on entries in the parish registers.

There is a summary here of what you can expect to see in parish register entries prior to this date here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,54385.0.html

So, in 1767, I'm afraid you will not find the parents' names on marriage records.  But the witness names might give a clue.

Can you work backwards from their age at death to get a rough idea of their birth dates?  Have you looked at the IGI to see if there are any possible candidates in the right area which you can then investigate?  Wills might also help, if they left any.

Just some suggestions.

Nell

Thanks Nell. I'll take a look.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 13:09 BST (UK) »
The registers for St Giles in the Fields haven't been deposited at the LMA, they are still at the church, although they do have some registers on microfilm.

Are you planning to visit in person or use the LMA dataset on Ancestry?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
The registers for St Giles in the Fields haven't been deposited at the LMA, they are still at the church, although they do have some registers on microfilm.

Are you planning to visit in person or use the LMA dataset on Ancestry?

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I thought I'd be ok. I'm visiting in person (its only 20 minutes walk from where I work). I looked up the relevant dates on their website first and got the ref X105/003 60.531 (st.gil).

I am on Ancestry but I only have the essentials subscription.

Do you think it's worth me visiting?

Thanks

talktonite

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Definitely worth a visit, but a word of warning, the register will most probably be a composite one, it may have baptisms, burials and marriages all in one and may take some reading. You may need to stretch your lunchtime out or go on a Tuesday or Thursday when they have late night opening until 7.30pm.

About Ancestry, as the registers haven't been deposited, the records aren't online. It catches a lot of people out.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
Definitely worth a visit, but a word of warning, the register will most probably be a composite one, it may have baptisms, burials and marriages all in one and may take some reading. You may need to stretch your lunchtime out or go on a Tuesday or Thursday when they have late night opening until 7.30pm.

About Ancestry, as the registers haven't been deposited, the records aren't online. It catches a lot of people out.

Dawn

Thanks. Will let you know how I get on. Are you familiar with what is kept at the Guildhall Library? Indexes only? Saw it mentioned here:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/City+Digital+Archive.htm

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
All of the documents that would be of most interest to family historians eg parish registers have been moved to the LMA. The exceptions are the papers for Christ's Hospital and the Livery Companies. There are also a lot of documents relating to the financial proceedings of the City of London which remain at the Guildhall.

The digital references are available at the LMA also as they share the share computer system.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 10:58 BST (UK) »