Author Topic: Edmund Whit(t)aker & Margaret Donough  (Read 5535 times)

Offline ScattyAnn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Whit(t)aker & Margaret Donough
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this -looks promising.  :)

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
This is very exciting news. When I started this thread I had come to a real road block so I have left it for a good few months to try and see it with fresh eyes.
I am from Edmund's lineage  - John Munn Senior's brother.
My line goes Edmund Whitaker and Margaret - Edmund  ( & John Munn and the other siblings) -Edmund has a son Edmund John -  who has a daughter Katherine (Kitty) and a huge family - Katherine has a daughter (and has another big family)  including my grandmother Mary Agnes - Mary Agnes has my mother Elsie and her sister Hilda and then there is me and my siblings.
I traced my family tree through John Munn and I think I have a photocopy of a photo of him and Mary Ann P but have never been able to confirm it.
To the best of my knowledge and research John Munn never had any children to Mary Ann Caton and he adored his first wife Mary Ann Pearson. I believe Edmund and John Munn were very close.
If you haven't been to visit  this grave go to Dukinfield Cemetery  C3(ASH)11. The inscription reads:
Mary Ann the beloved wife of Seagt. Major JM Whittaker who died July 13 1889 aged 30 years ALSO Ada their daughter who died May 25 1884 aged 2 years and 4 months ALSO Edmund Whittaker passed away 27th Dec 1892 aged 60 years ALSO is son Edmund John Whittaker passed away 3rd Nov 1947 Aged 84 years R.I.P ALSO Louisa dearly loved wife of the above who died March 2nd 1952 aged 79 years.

Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 07:23 GMT (UK) »
In answer to your questions -  John Munn Jnr he went to New Zealand not Australia.
I have Mary Ann Whittaker on the 1891 census but haven't really followed her further.
Remember that John Munn Snr was 50 when he married Mary Ann Mark II and she was 47 so any issue was unlikely.

Maude was a majolica paintress by profession and I would love to know how long she lived? Very high lead exposure in that job.
If you can answer this where is John Munn Senior buried. I have traced his life from birth to where he died but I don't know his resting place. Can you help?
Did you know Minnie Fletcher and/or her son Harold?
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 March 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I started this thread a number of years ago. I was never able to discover what happened to Edmund and Margaret after the 1851 Census. I know Edmund was in the 25th Regiment of Foot. Kings Own Guard Scottish Borders and was a career soldier until 1839. He was also a Chelsea Pensioner. I have located his CP record on Ancestry which leads me to Fold3. Is anyone able to look this up for me please as I use the library subscription.
He is listed under Edmd Whittakers  Roscadale, Lancaster. Age 41  born 1798.
I can't find his death or what happened to Margaret and her 2 girls and youngest son James.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 March 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Just in case you didn’t find James’ birth, GRO now has births with mother’s name.

James Whittaker 1848 June quarter, Haslingden vol 21 pg 542 mmn Donohoe.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 March 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I started this thread a number of years ago. I was never able to discover what happened to Edmund and Margaret after the 1851 Census. I know Edmund was in the 25th Regiment of Foot. Kings Own Guard Scottish Borders and was a career soldier until 1839. He was also a Chelsea Pensioner. I have located his CP record on Ancestry which leads me to Fold3. Is anyone able to look this up for me please as I use the library subscription.
I can't find his death or what happened to Margaret and her 2 girls and youngest son James.

Allibaker’s reply #10 gives information from his Military record. What are you hoping to find?
It is available, as explained in that post that it is on FindMyPast.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 March 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm hoping to find any reference to his death and last place of residence. His Military  Record gave me some leads but not enough to track him down to his final details.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 13:39 BST (UK) »

I have access to Fold3 but I think his is one of the records not transcribed yet as whatever spelling I use I can't find it

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 14:05 BST (UK) »
Things have moved on - see the other thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810753
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk