Author Topic: Barham Workhouse Records? 2nd Great Grandfather  (Read 5384 times)

Offline cassidys17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barham Workhouse Records? 2nd Great Grandfather
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I live in Northern Ireland but I am currently researching my 2nd great grandfather, Frederick Lawrence (born in Stonham, Suffolk in 1840). I recently discovered that my 2nd great grandfather had been recorded on the 1951 census as being a pauper in the Barham Workhouse along with his mother Lydia and sister Amelia. My 2nd great grandfather later joined the West Suffolk Militia and served in India. I am not sure when he joined the army but he does not appear on another English census until 1881 when he is recorded as living with his wife, from Ireland, and their four children, three of whom were born in India, in Bury St. Edmunds. Does anyone know where I can find some records concerning the Barham Workhouse, for example when my 2nd great grandfather was put into the workhouse and when he was discharged and if he went into the British army straight from the workhouse?

As I do not live in England, and would find it difficult to visit in order to conduct research can anyone help me in this regard? Many thanks!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Barham Workhouse Records? 2nd Great Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

The workhouse for the parish of Barham is the Bosmere and Claydon Union workhouse and it was situated in the parish.

You will find any records at the Ipswich branch of the suffolk Record Office.

However, you might like to check what they hold on Peter's web site
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/
Just look under England, Suffolk, Bosmere and Claydon.

I believe that workhouse records are going to become available on line later this year.  Not sure if it will be done county by county, or England or ???

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Barham Workhouse Records? 2nd Great Grandfather
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
The baptism of daughter Lydia is here.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

12th October, 1870 in Londonderry

daughter of
Frederick Lawrence
Mary Anne Sweeny

There is also a marriage listed in 1870 for a Frederick Lawrence in Londonderry, but no spouse showing.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk