Author Topic: Mcdonald ancestor  (Read 5010 times)

Offline agnald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mcdonald ancestor
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My Great Grandfather James Mcdonald was born in 1845-1846 in ross shire Kintail. Found this in the 1881 census. Cant find birth record. Can anyone help. Thanks

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mcdonald ancestor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

One record for Ross and Cromarty (the modern name for the amalgamation of the ancient counties of Ross-shire and Cromarty - although that also disappeared following the local government act of 1974) dated 30th Dec 1846. Father was Roderick MacDonald, James was born in the parish of Fodderty - does that fit? Regarding Fodderty - http://www.scottish-places.info/parishes/parfirst168.html

Hope this helps!

gordon5
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

I see that Monica has helped you with some info on this thread in Lanarkshire:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,477463.0.html

Kintail is in the far SW of the County close to Skye/Kyle of Lochalsh. Here's a parish map:

http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-caithness.htm

(it's a three county map and Ross & Cromarty is in the South! )  I'm there at the moment  ;D

I've been looking for baptisms in that area and on the 1851 but,  so far, I've drawn a blank. No entry with parents James and Catherine  :-\

Do you know what religion he was?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline agnald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon 5,

Thankyou for your help. I shall look it up.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't like to be a spoil sport but if her was born Kintail, then it's nowhere near Fodderty. Fodderty is on the North East side of the county and Kintail is on the South West side  - see my parish map link above.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I'm only going by the record on Scotland's people - it may not be the correct one but its the only one listed 1845-46 for Ross (either Shire or Cromarty). I missed the location of Fodderty thing - hey, it was late and I was tired!! The father's name doesn't match with the suggestions on the other thread either but it's an avenue to look into even if only to rule it out!!

Still, it was silly to miss the location thing!!

gordon5
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

Not all baptisms are on Scotlands People and these are, in the main,  those carried out by a Church of Scotland minister and which have survived. Many records are missing (lost, damaged, never entered) and, if a family were not Church of Scotland, the baptisms  aren't there. I know that some  RC baptisms are now on SP but, again, many are missing.

It is therefore quite possible that James's baptismal record is not on SP.

I asked about his religion because,  if I recall correctly, that area of Wester Ross does have a fair proportion of Roman Catholics.

I've checked the SP Kintail baptism records 1840-1854 to see if there are any hints of a possible family. In all there are 18 Mcdonald (and variations) baptisms.

No James or Catherine as shown on the marriage certificate are listed among these. I'm not sure if agnald has a death cert for him.

The 1841 census doesn't have a James Mcdonald  and no definite Catherines in Kintail. It might have been that the area was undergoing clearances at that time and they moved in and out in the mid 1840s.

Gadget

Offline agnald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for all your help. Only have his marriage certificate & found him in the 1891 & 1901 census. Don't know what religion he was. Also, not sure about Catherine being his Mother as name unclear.  SP are going to look at it and send me a clearer copy if they can. Can't find the death cert, he was still alive in 1915 as he attended his sons marriage. (James Mcdonald to Agnes Watt).

Agnald (Ann)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Agnald

I'm here too  :)  I will  assume that you are not ignoring my contribution purposely  (given you've answered the questions that I've asked) and it is something to do with your notifications and you think that I'm  Gordon

I've looked at the certificate and the names are definitely James Mcdonald (Inn keeper)  and Catherine McGilivray, both deceased.

i'll draw Monica's attention to this thread as she helped on your other thread which deals with the same query.

Gadget