Author Topic: Harold Edwyn Padmore 1868/9 England  (Read 1998 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Harold Edwyn Padmore 1868/9 England
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Im looking to see about a Harold Edwyn (or Edwin) Padmore, born 1868/9 Moseley, Worcestershire, England...

In the 1891 English census, he is listed as "the merchant navy candidate 2 mate"...

I believe he then went to Canada from bits ive seen on other peoples trees and might have arrived in 1891, he is supposed to be listed in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, in canada but again, im not sure...

I have seen however, a burial place for him as being mountain view cemetery vancouver?

Hope someone can help :)

Andy
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harold Edwyn Padmore 1868/9 England
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 01:30 BST (UK) »
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#givenName=harold&collection=fs%3A1538285&surname=padmore&searchType=close&p=recordResults
More details provided by this site on death registration in BC.

He is a lodger on the 1911 census in Vancouver, single, tobacconist, shows an immigration year of 1891.   You can search census at these sites
http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I live in BC and go to the family history library quite frequently.  I could certainly look up the death registration for Harold Padmore if you like.

Regards,
Susan

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
Debbie: thank you very much!! (those sites for censuses might come in very handy for me too!)

I can see his 1911 address was 1207 Melville vancouver city... is that all I have to search for to find where it is? or should there be a district etc added in?

I cant seem to see an actual "address" listed on the 1911 census?

Susan: Thank you very much too! I would appreciate that :) (any chance i have for more info is always wanted lol )

its a shame i havent found his arrival details yet, so i could trace his ship... did he ever make it as 2nd mate lol and poor fella... listed as single when he died (I was hoping id found a new canadian arm of the family)... I hope he wasnt all alone there... that he had good friends etc
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
If you mean you can't find an address on the 1901, addresses for there can be found by cross-checking the info on Schedule 1 (the main schedule indexed on automatedgenealogy) with Schedule 2 (Buildings and Land, Churches and Schools) info which can be found on http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1901/

For example on the image in 1901 he's in Burrard district (1) Vancouver subdistrict d-10, the household on page 14 which starts line 48. This is labelled, interestingly enough, as "Methodist Church". Judging from the surrounding households this was the "Homer Street Methodist Church" which was somewhere at the intersection of Homer Street and Dunsmuir street, and was sold at the turn of the century:
http://www.bc.united-church.ca/uccfiles/archives/The%20United%20Church%20of%20Canada%20in%20BC%20%28history%29.pdf

The head of the household is listed as "janitor" so perhaps there was accomodation for a live-in caretaker.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
thank you very much for that info... and hmmm maybe a connection there?... his family back in England, seem to be full of wesleyan ministers, vicars etc LOL nearly everywhere I turn in his other family back home I seem to keep finding wesleyan ministers!... well, homer methodist church... got me thinking so i just googled it ... wesleyans are the modern day methodists from what I can see... sooo...

And I see from the 1901 census he appears to be a "hotel keeper" ? I wonder if we can find the hotel?
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 August 10 09:12 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 August 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
thank you all for the help, and the wonderful sites too! Ive had a lil mooch in those directories, havent found much yet, but have seen a few shots of the area:) and on top of that, those are addys I can add to my lil resourses list im building up, I dont have much for canadian research so...

Is there anyway I can find his arrival in canada tho? the ship etc? I know he was in England but the census listed him as "sea" and "the merchant candidate 2 mate" so maybe he wouldnt show as an "arrival" passengerwise? hmmm

Im not too well up on this side of research :(  and a few merchant navy forums Ive been in touch with havent been able to tell me much sadly :(

goes bacl to trying to find that hotel!! lol.....
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 August 10 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I was able to get the death registration today for Harold Edwyn Padmore.  If you would send me your email address via pm, I can email the document to you.

Thanks,
Susan