Author Topic: Lulworth Cove, Mervyn O'GORMAN photos?  (Read 47397 times)

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lulworth Cove, O'GORMAN photos?
« Reply #108 on: Saturday 13 June 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Still so excited at the amount of information that has come to light unraveling this post.
The address for Christina on four of her sailings to Canada is,,,,,
Swan Cottage,Stoke Hammond, Bletchley, Bucks.
Was hesitant to post this initially as her death was only in 1981,[RootsChat has a privacy policy after 1911]
Appears to be an old thatch cottage in the area of Church Rd,behind a high hedge,still stands,ie Google Earth,possibly the one.
Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Sunday 14 June 15 06:12 BST (UK) »

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sunday 14 June 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Today I spoke to Benita Sanders who is Christina Niece. She has informed me that multiple people had already contacted her about her aunt. She was not keen to talk and respecting her right to privacy I kept my conversation to a minimum. However she did tell me several points

She did state that Christina was very intelligent and was a wonderful person. She clearly had fond memories about her aunt. She also stated that both her mother and aunt would be amazed about how they had become a interest in the British news papers.
She did conform that her aunt was buried in Stoke Hammond but after telling me this she politely asked to end the conversation stating she didn't have anything more to say about her family. Respecting her right to privacy I didn't want to push the issue. I did manage to inform about her how her aunt and mother had been discovered.

I will not be making any more attempts to contact her in the future. I also will be ending my search for Christina and her life. I now know what her name is and where she lived and died. I am satisfied with the information I have and will let her lie in peace.

Kind Regards to every who helped in this search and a special mention on Kilkennylass who made an incredible effort to find Christina. I do find the O'Gorman and Bevan family inspirational and so many members of their extended family had achieved success in there respected fields of study.

Clive

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Sunday 14 June 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
I've traded emails with Benita over the last couple of days too, the contents of which I will not be making public.  For me its a perfect, respectful end to that avenue of the story and I'm glad that Christinas closest relative knows of the affection and respect that so many people around the world have for the gorgeous images of her aunt and mother.

There are a couple of loose ends on the O'Gorman side which I'd like to tie up, one of which is confirming the location of the garden images, which I'm sure are Rempstone Hall, and should be able to confirm tomorrow when I research O'Gormans unpublished images in the RPS collection at the NMM....i'll let you all know.

This has all been a tremendous amount of fun :)

Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline ashmok

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 14 June 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
It is Rempstone Hall, I've no doubt.

Visually, you can see what looks like the right area from Google Earth.

But the clincher is that Christina's mother's mother was born there!

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 14 June 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
It is Rempstone Hall, I've no doubt.

Visually, you can see what looks like the right area from Google Earth.

But the clincher is that Christina's mother's mother was born there!

I'm convinced it is too, even if the family connection wasn't a clincher I know there are unpublsihed O'Gorman images in the RPS collection titled 'Rempstone' so he was certainly there at some point ! Can't wait to see them, there are also images of his wife, and something about a donkey too !

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 15 June 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
One thing I was pondering, was whether the patio with water feature was still there. Looking at the sattelite picture it may just be. See the swimming pool, now come back towards the house. There appears to be a patio with a water feature partially in shadow. Can't see the low wall and steps though.

I don't know whether there's someone local who could gain access with a camera and a printout of Christina sitting on the edge of the water feature and compare.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
One thing I was pondering, was whether the patio with water feature was still there. Looking at the sattelite picture it may just be. See the swimming pool, now come back towards the house. There appears to be a patio with a water feature partially in shadow. Can't see the low wall and steps though.

I don't know whether there's someone local who could gain access with a camera and a printout of Christina sitting on the edge of the water feature and compare.

well spotted Regorian, the steps could be closer to the house and masked by the house shadow.  There are some aeriel images of the Hall from 1952 but i can't make anything out http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=rempstone%20hall

i viewed all the O'Gorman images in the RPS collection yesterday, and there are unpublished ones taken in the garden, however they are all the same angle and don't give any additional info. They are dated 1913 but make not mention of location.  Having viewed the original autochrome I can now say that the attached is the correct way round, basically everyone myself included had it the wrong way round !

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hopefully, someone can gain access with a camera. Rempstone Hall is available for rent at £4,000 PW, cough.

It won't look identical now regardless of 100 years weathering. The Hall was occupied by the Army during WWII. Whilst the property would have been treated with respect, it was inevitable that some damage would have been done. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.