Author Topic: Lulworth Cove, Mervyn O'GORMAN photos?  (Read 47394 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Lulworth Cove, O'GORMAN photos?
« Reply #99 on: Friday 12 June 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Some background to Christina's family. 17th and 18th Century Welsh Quakers and Barclays Bank.

First Wiki, yesterday someone has amended to show Christina whereas previously just said two daughters, then a family website.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwyn_Bevan.

http://rth.org.uk/collections/bevan-dewar-letters/bevans-dewars/bevans,
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
this is all as fascinating as the original search ! Apart from the Atlantic crossings, haven't found much else about Christina yet.  After London the family moved to Surrey (odd fact about that at the end of this post !) and an archive search of the Surrey Mirror newspaper does bring up some articles about the famiy, the mothers death and burial, Annes wedding, and Mr Bevan selling his lawnmower but nothing so far specifically about Christina.

What a wealth of information this long post has revealed.

Having checked the images of all recorded sailings made by Christina Elizabeth Frances Bevan,born Hendon Middx on 8th March 1897,
she actually made five all told ,one to the United States, in 1947 from a West London address, the other four from her retirement cottage at Stoke Hammond,Bletchley,Buckinghamshire,1950.1952,1954,1955.
All travelling alone,no occupation or marital status listed,presume unmarried.

You've got the same as I have, my thought was that Anne & her youngest child move back from Canada, but Robert stayed for some reason and thus the family make fairly frequent trips to visit him.  Anne and the 3 children travel to Canada in July 1940, and only Anne & Benita travel back in 1949. If the Canadian obit Mako mentions is correct it does seem he stays there.  Annes eldest child, Juliet, sadly passes away aged 15 in Toronto in Dec 1943. 

Theres a record of annes husband re-marrying in 1947, can't find any divorce though....can anyone else confirm/double check ?

Anne Cornelia Bevan marries Charles Craven Sanders (b dublin Dec 1899 d london 1985?) in London in 1926 (theres a lovely newspaper article describing her dress). 
They have 3 children Juliet Cornelia (b Reigate 1928 d Toronto 1943), Robert (b Reigate 1931 d Ontario 2007), Benita Elizabeth (b Reigate 1935 d ?). 

There is a death record for Charles Craven Sanders dated May 1985 (from The Times) but the spouse is listed as Marjorie Sanders.  there is a marriage between Charles Craven Sanders and Marjorie Armitage (widowed, nee Smith) in 1947 but i can't ascertain if this is Anne's husband remarrying

As i mentioned, after London Christina and her family moved to Reigate, Surrey.....and you'll never guess where I live.  in fact I'm sitting typing this less than 1/4 mile from where they lived  ;)
Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 12 June 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
Looks like a nice home, I wonder who she gave her money too

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 12 June 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find educational records for Christina. I'm assuming that with her father being an academic at Kings College, London she might of attended this university. But there's no mention of her from a list of graduates up to 1936. Three possibilities are that her father was a bigot and didn't believe in education for girls, or she attended another university, or she was not academically gifted

Kilkennylas can you give me the street address in reigate and the year that Christina moved there. On a personnel note I was a PCSO in Dorking for 4 years ( I now have left surrey police and live back in NZ) which is the next town to Reigate. So I know the town well I had to take many a person to the Nick in Reigate.

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 13 June 15 04:46 BST (UK) »
In today's money Christina left 852,200 pounds in her will

I used http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/relativevalue.php to derive at calculation

In today's money she was close to being a millionaire and this way before property prices in England took off.

So its highly unlikely the total value of her wealth was just based on the value of her home. She must of had a few other investments, I think she might of inherited some wealth.

You can view here property via this link

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2snz!4v1434176464234!6m8!1m7!1saoIYPXkfKUfZ__u7tVMHrA!2m2!1d51.958672!2d-0.721196!3f221.20067939637022!4f4.0797730236815255!5f0.7820865974627469" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Saturday 13 June 15 05:55 BST (UK) »
Christina's father obituary

DR. EDWYN BEVAN CLASSICAL SCHOLAR AND HISTORIAN Dr. Edwyn Bevan, O.B.E., F.B.A., who die' in London yesterday at the age of 73, was a man of varied gifts, a classical scholar and archaeologist, a student of the philosophy of religion and especially of Christianity, and an observer of contemporary politics. To The Times he contributed letters chiefly on Indian and foreign policy which revealed judgment, knowledge, and grasp of affairs, combined with the detachment of a philosophic historian; and he had been a frequent contributor to The Times LiterarS' Supplement. Born on February 15, 1870, Edwyn Robert Bevan was the seventh son of the 16 children born to Mr. Robert Cooper Lee Bevan, of Trent Park, Middlesex, and Fosbury House, Wilts. Like his brother, the late Anthony Ashley Bevan, Lord Almoner's Professor of Arabic at Oxford, he was an exception among the large clan of Bevans, who have been for the most part' country gentlemen with banking and other financial interests. He was educated at Cheam, Monkton Combe, and New College, Oxford, of which he was later elected an honorary fellow. After traveling in India he worked at the British School in Athens in' 1894, and took part in excavations at Alexandria in 1895. In the war of 1914 he worked successively in the Propaganda Department, in the Department of Information, and in the Political Intelligence Department of the Foreign Office. From 1922 to 1933 Bevan was lecturer on Hellenistic history and literature at King's College, London. For this work he was admirably qualified, for he had made an early reputation with his " House of Seleucus" and had followed that success up with other studies in the history, religion, and philosophy of the pre-Christian and post-Christian East; during. the tenure of his lectureship he wrote a history of Egypt under the Ptolemies and contributed to the Cambridge histories of the Ancient World and of India. In 1932 he wrote the volume on Christianity for the Home University Library; and in 1938 there appeared' his " Symbolism and Belief " which he had taken as the subject of his Gifford lectures. It is hardly possible here to enumerate all his books, which were those of an exceptionally well equipped scholar of remarkably wide range;, but it should be recorded that he also translated in English verse more than one of the plays of Aeschyltus. Last year he collected into a volume a number of poems which he had written at various times. Dr. Bevan was an honorary D.Litt (0xford) and LL.D.(St. Andrews). He married in 1896 the Hon. Mary Waldegrave, daughter of the 'third Baron Radstock. She died in 1935. There were two daughters of the marriage.

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Saturday 13 June 15 06:08 BST (UK) »
Another obituary in the times for Christina's father

DR. EDWYN BEVAN AN APPRECIATION The Rev. H. K. Archdall, Principal of St. David's College, Lampeter, writes :- The death of Edwyn Bevan is irreparable to many, and the loss to the Church and the country of his learned and sagacious judgment is likely to become apparent. No one else could have written the remarkable volume entitled " Christianity " in the Home University Library and it is good to know that it is a " best seller." I can testify'to its value in Australia and New Zealand in creating,an atmosphere in which the antitheses of church history can be changed into complementariness. It was the complete honesty of his mind, combined with his deep personal Christian faith, which made him so stimulating a companion and so reliable a counsellor. Neither his classical rearning nor his philosophical ability were to him, of primary  importance: all was secondary to bis Christian conviction: he knew all. the currents of contemporary theological thought,  but held to his own steadfast faith, which was based more on the historical character of the Christian Revelation than on aught else.' He was a layman of whom the Church of England may be proud, though he had many contacts, through the late Baron F. von Hugjel and through the Student Christian Movement, with other modes of thought and practice. The book he published during the war of 1914-18 about the German colonies in Africa was based on a unique knowledge of the facts and should be reread today; his advice.given in The Times in 1937 about the problem of being fair both to Arabs and Jews in Palestine was both realistic and challenging. There will be many men in prominent positions in India. who will look back to the time when he invited Indian students to  his house in Chelsea and sought to make them feel at home. His recent book entitled " Christians in a World at War " must have helped many to keep their feet on the ground and their heads erect. As a reviewer of books he was a model of charity combined with loyalty to fact and truth; of him it can truly be said Nilil teiigit qruod non ornavir.

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 13 June 15 06:35 BST (UK) »
Christina Father left an estate of net worth of 56000 pounds in 1943

Comparative value  in today's money range from 2.2 million to 10 million pounds