Author Topic: Thickett, Penistone  (Read 14024 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Thickett, Penistone
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
Before I leave you studying  all your research.

Top left quarter of map from Oxsping just below top margin heading east

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345169

Have a look at the big area (Not the village) lettering of Thurgoland and Stainborough at a common link of Bagger wood road at Hood Green

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
I was in enough difficulties before this tricky Trickett/Thickett problem. Looking at images of the Wath records, it looks like the Wath Tricketts were 'Tricketts'. It appears that Richard Trickett first married Martha Wainwright in 1701. Martha died and was buried on the 28th May 1704. On the 7th September 1704, Richard obtained a licence to marry Mary Hall at Pontefract. After this date he appears to have fathered a number of children who were baptised at Wath. I don't think he had enough spare time to marry Esthera Woodhead in Tankersley in 1707. The bridegroom at Tankersley appears to have been a 'Thickitt'. See image attached.

With reference to the Hearth Tax records of 1672, I'm wondering what are the odds of there having been a 'Henry Thickett' and a 'Henry Trickett' living in Stainborough in the 1670's?  As I have no access to an image of the Hearth Tax records, I am unable to check this out. The Cause Papers clearly refer to a 'Henry Thickett'.  Isabell's 1673 burial record shows her to have been the wife of 'Henery Thickit'. See image attached.

Many thanks to 'dobfarm' for the map link. I'll have a look at that next.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look for of variants of Esthera, Esthora, Esther, Ester, Hesther, Hester Thickett as to a location at death/burial could help matters.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
 A Richard Thickett of Hand Lane, Thurgoland, was buried at Silkstone on the 16th February 1747. I have tried to find the burial of Esther Thickett (and variations) but so far no success. I'll give it another go.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 May 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks 'dobfarm' for all the Thickett information. From the baptism records of his children (Silkstone 1708 to 1724) it is clear that 'my' Richard Thickett lived in Thurgoland. There was a Richard Thickett of Thurgoland buried at Silkstone in 1706 and a Richard Thickett married Esthera Woodhead at Tankersley in 1707. I have no baptism for 'my' Richard, but there are a few scraps of information which indicate that Thickett families lived in Thurgoland for some time prior to 1706. The names given by Richard to his children suggest that there was a connection to the nearby Penistone Thicketts, but I do not know what this connection was. I hope this indicates to any reader where I am with my enquiries at this time.

Henry is the link connection.

Either Richard married twice (Most Likely ) or Tankersley Richard (Esthera) is another Richard

I would strongly suggest Richard son of Johannis bapt 1672 and Henry is the father of Johannis with Henry's wife Isabell being Johannis's mother

Johannes burial of 'New h' Penistone parish 14 Aug 1715 -a Matthew Thicket burial of 'New house green' 22 Feb 1729 Penistone parish

Quote post 2 by Ebch

Hello
London Gazette - August 9 1755

The following person being a prisoner for debt in His Majesty's goal at Rothwell for the Honour of Pontefract in the West Riding of the County of Yorkshire hereby gives notice that he intends to take the Benefit of the late act of Parliament made in the Twenty Eighth year of the reign of His Majesty King George the Second, intitled An Act for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors, at the next General or Quarter Sessions of the Peace to be held in or for the said County of the West Riding of York, or at the Adjournment of that or of the last General or Quarter Sessions, whichever shall happen next after Thirty days from the Publication hereof, viz;
FIRST NOTICE
JOHN THICKETT, late of Newhouse Hill in the Parish of Penistone, West Riding of County of Yorkshire, Clothier.

UnQuote

Thus Johannis near Oxspring

Henry lived Stainborough as a place, is only a few fields down Gundgeon hole lane & Stainborough lane from Hand land at Thurgoland -Crane moor bottom (Hamlet) (See map link above post)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 May 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
Well, that's the problem. Were the children baptised at Penistone (father Richard) between 1693 and 1700 and the children baptised at Silkstone (father Richard of Thurgoland) between 1708 and 1724 all fathered by the same man or were there two Richards? (I'm presuming that the two later baptisms at Denby were a different Richard). A burial with the words 'wife of Richard Thickett' could prove most useful. I'm going to browse through all the burial images of Penistone and Silkstone. The indexes and transcripts don't always have everything that's there. I may be some time. If anyone already knows the answer, please let me know.

Can anyone tell me where Newhouse, Penistone, was/is? I've looked hard at the old 19th century OS maps, but I can find no reference.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 May 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
Have look at the original baptism as in link

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NP5Z-V88

~~~~~~~~-----
Enter in google maps

'New house Farm, thickett lane,  penistone'

or

top right corner of map in link

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345166

(Down line) under the big O in big words Peniston/Oxspring on the map in link

(Across line) in right margin from where it says 'Area of Silkstone' - Take across line from where it says 'area of Thurgoland '

Where two lines cross is Thickett lane New House hill

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 May 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
Re Newhouse, Penistone. Many thanks 'dobfarm', I now have it.

Re previous 'familysearch' link to baptism of Richard Trickitt at Wath on 31st December 1676. On the 7th September 1704, Richard Trickitt of Wath obtained a licence to marry Mary Hall of Arksey at Pontefract. Both bride and groom gave their age as '30'. 1704 minus 30 = 1674. Close enough for those days? Thanks for the thought, but I'm going to have to put this Richard down as a non contender unless something changes my mind.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 07 May 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Use this link for old maps search

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=12&lat=53.6110&lon=-1.6847&layers=39&point=-1.7348,53.5607

Zoom in/out  with mouse wheel or one click drag, but don't double click, till you find the square you want,  then left click the square and all the different years of maps for that square will come up on the right in a down menu. Thus click the map year you want.