Author Topic: Mormon Records  (Read 3966 times)

Offline pedlar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mormon Records
« on: Wednesday 25 August 10 12:32 BST (UK) »

'Morning, All,

I have been sent record details from the Church of The Latter day Saints - The Mormons - regarding the marriage of 3x gt. grandparents.  It sems they were married at 'St. Peter's Parish Church, Aston'.

Neither I, or another keen Pedley family researcher, know of a 'St. Peter's Church', in Aston.  But we know about 'St. Peter and St. Paul Parish Church' - which is uaually described as 'Aston Parish Church'.

We know that the St. Peter and St. Paul Parish Church was there in mediaeval times and described as such. We can only think that the Mormon recorder wrote 'St. Peter's Parish Church' for the sake of abbreviation in the register.

Also, we get the impression that St. Peter's and St. Paul's Parish Church was probably rather a posh church for a member of our family to be getting married in.  We are not a 'posh' family, most of that period's Pedleys being in industry as 'iron spoonmakers ! 

In any case, later grandparents, such as my gt grandad, and my grandad,  were married at St. Laurence's Church in Dartmouth Street, Ashted.  So what do we surmise about 3x grandad's marriage at 'St. Peter's', Aston?

The only thing I, personally, can conclude, is that we probably have the wrong man...!

Any of you more informed folk got any ideas?

Cheers,

pedlar

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mormon Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 13:28 BST (UK) »
I think your assumption that it is St Peter and St Paul is probably correct. There's nothing on Genuki about a plain "St Peters".

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
This depends on dates too as everybody had to marry in the parish church at one point, regardless of income or class!
Regards
Andrea

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us their names and the year they married? Do you have a copy of the certificate?

If the names of both parties are correct you would expect it to be the correct marriage rather than thinking you have the wrong man because of the name of the church ...  :-\

Offline pedlar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
  Ruskie:  Their names are William Pedley and Susanna Parker, and they were married, apparently, in 1811.

I lifted the information from another's family tree.  Then I checked for myself by applying to the Mormon records in Utah.  I have the registration details, and I understand that there are various Mormon records offices in various parts of the world. 

I'm pretty certain that there was one in Harborne, Birmingham at one time.  Trouble is: I can't visit an office because I am housebound by disability.

I do not have a marriage certificate.  This is what I am actually seeking in order to confirm the info from the other person's tree...

Sillgen:  Thanks for your enlightening info about particular dates and marriages at parish churches.  It gives me some hope that we may have the right grandad, after all...!

Thank you both for your assistance.

Cheers,

pedlar

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
if you go on to family search
(the old site -not the pilot site)
IGI -extracted record reads
Marriage
William Pedley
Susannah Parker
11 Aug 1811
Aston Juxta Birmingham Warwicks

the source given is
Parish Register 1754-1884
Church of England. St Peters Church (Aston)
includes registers St Pauls Aston

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 August 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
If the marriage took place in 1811 you are not likely to find a maariage certificate, as these were only introduced in 1837.

I think you can safely conclude that the church in question is Ss Peter & Paul.

Keith

Offline pedlar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 August 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Suzard/Keitht:  Thank you for your comments, and a take the point about marriage certificates and 1837 registrations.

I was hoping to get hold of the names of the lady's parents ond/or any other information.  Can either of you tell me whether the Mormon records might contain such extra information?  (I am quite a novice at Family Research and always looking for a little guidance ...)

Cheers,

pedlar

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 August 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
The IGI is just a transcript of what appears in the parish register so it is always worth looking at the original as that may hold further clues.  Sometimes family members are witnesses.
The LDS church have family history centres across the country (listed on www.familysearch.org) and if you go to one of those (or the local record office) you can look at the film of the register yourself.  You then see burials as well which is always useful to build up a fuller picture of a family.  Another way of doing that is to click on the batch number of the IGI record and then just put in the surname.  You should then get all entries for that name on the film.  In this case you get quite a few Parker (and Pedley) entries who may well be part of the same family.  If you change the M (for marriage) on the batch number to C (for Christening) you get some baptisms too.  Rather too late for your purposes but I am sure you get the idea of how to use the search system.
Andrea
Andrea