Author Topic: "Cold ground"  (Read 14052 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: "Cold ground"
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure we had a similar query some time last year, I think referring to a burial ground in London...I'll see if I can find it.

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 February 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the "collapsed" idea.
It could also refer to when a grave had collapsed when it was dug for burial , maybe the land in that particular churchyard was prone to that and possibly a system was put in place to worn future gravediggers of past problems.

Bit of a long shot , but i work in a Cemetery , and that sort of thing IS put in our burial registers , not with that particular abbreviation though.

Just a thought............. :)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 February 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the "collapsed" idea.
It could also refer to when a grave had collapsed when it was dug for burial , maybe the land in that particular churchyard was prone to that and possibly a system was put in place to worn future gravediggers of past problems.

Bit of a long shot , but i work in a Cemetery , and that sort of thing IS put in our burial registers , not with that particular abbreviation though.

Just a thought............. :)

As I`m sure you are aware graves do collapse, mainly due to either a lack of time following the adjacent burial, a period of inclement weather &/or unstable ground.

Generally I`ve seen an annotation referring to a grave collapse  with additional info such as "Grave collapse, not to be used for 1 - 2 years".

Use of grave shoring can help prevent collapse, but not completely prevent a collapse.

Interesting argument, but I`d like to see if the OP could get some more info from the Cemetery to help clear things up & thus help all of us to gain knowledge.

Kind regards

Steve