Author Topic: Frances McG[e]ough b1817-18 Carrickmacross.To Glasgow1841,m.Glasgow1845,d.1881  (Read 2711 times)

Offline VDLstories

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

I am hoping for help/advice to find living relatives in Ireland of Frances McG(e)ough and/or the place where he most likely lived in Carrickmacross. He is my ggg grandfather. I am currently visiting Ireland from Australia in Aug-Sept 2010.

Here are Frances's details (not a lot !)
FRANCES MC GOUGH  (Born Carrickmacrss c1818. Died aged 63 on 13 February 1881 in Glasgow).
Francis left Carrickmacross for Scotland in August of 1841 according to an application for Poor Law relief he filed in Glasgow on December 15, 1877 under the name Frank McGough. He said that he was born in Carrickmacross, county Magheross, Ireland, to John McGough, Farm labourer, Monaghan and Mary Reilly, deceased by 1855.

Francis McGeough [with 'i' and 'e'] married Ann Mortimer in Glasgow, Scotland on 5 January 1845. Ann Mortimer was born in Ireland [1826] and arrived in 1833 from there with her parents Philip and Bridget/Betty Mortimer and brother John also b1826 and brother Philip b1829. [1841 Scottish census] [Bridget's father was John Cairns and mother Mary Sheridan and she was said to be from Roscommon.

I am also hoping to find any Mortimer/Cairns who may be related in Ireland and/or find where Bridget nee Cairns  and Philip Mortimer lived/came from in Ireland.
Frances's wife, Ann Mortimer,   died on January 22, 1858, and he was a widower.
Frances had been  a tailor. He had lived with his son, John McGough, at 38 St. Andrews Square, Glasgow. His son was a whipmaker, age 30, married to Helen Hill. [Helen Hutton Hill 1848-17/5/1920 Glasgow]
Frances died  a pauper at the Glasgow Poorhouse in 1881, his only child, John died in 1885 aged 39.  Frances most recent residence  at time of death was at: 6 Candleriggs St, Glasgow. [death cert.] 

Much of the above is from:
http://www.magoo.com/hugh/donaghmoyne.html

Many thanks for any advice or help. I am staying in Cork but planning a trip up to Monaghan/Carrickmacross for late next week. I am hopeful!

Julie

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frances McG[e]ough b1817-18 Carrickmacross.To Glasgow1841,m.Glasgow1845,d.1881
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
You mention Carrickmacross, County Magheross. Magheross is actually the civil parish where Carrickmacross is situated which corresponds with the Catholic parish of Carrickmacross, so your ancestors may not necessarily have been from the town of that name.

Regarding the name Mortimer of Co Roscommon, that name might have originally been Mattimoe which is common in north Roscommon and took many many forms following emigration such as Mattimore, Mattimoor, Mattimer and Mortimore. Mortimoor, Mortimer. The name was also interchangeable with Milmoe with all it's variant forms. I'm descended from one of them and stopped counting at over 60 variants long ago.

Good luck,

J.T.A.

Offline VDLstories

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frances McG[e]ough b1817-18 Carrickmacross.To Glasgow1841,m.Glasgow1845,d.1881
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the Mortimer name variation information -  that is the most variation I've yet heard for any single name. 

It would be near nigh impossible to find these ancestors I now understand. At least I am learning a lot about history on the journey, which is certainly interesting.

Julie

Offline VDLstories

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello everyone

I have now been tracking Frances McG(e)ough and Ann (nee Mortimer's) children born in Glasgow, and found that four children did not survive childhood in 1850s Blackfriars Glasgow.

Only one child, son John McGough,my gg grandfather, seems to have survived to have children.

Anyhow the children who died young were named Frances, Bridget,  Philip   and Michael.

Bridget and  Philip  are the names of Ann Mortimer's parents  and Frances, his own - the father's name.

I am thinking that Michael McGough might be the name of Frances's Mc G(e)ough's father back in Monaghan, even Carrickmacross where Frances said he was born c1818.

Does anyone know of a Michael McGough born c1790s-1800 who had a son named Frances c1818, also there may also be an elder sister Helen McGough who went to Glasgow in the 1830s and married a Philip Crawley [Croiley = in Scotland's People].

Thanks for any advice - I am driving up to Monaghan from Cork  on the weekend and hope to visit townships where these McGough's came from, and it would be fantastic to know more, perhaps even meet any McGoughs in the area today.

Julie Gough

Offline McGoughKillanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 23 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I am a McGough whose GGF came from Carrickmacross area to the USA in 1850. Hugh McGough and his wife Mary Halfpenny. I have done my DNA and Y-DNA. My GED Match is AB2443377. I am on Ancestry as James McGue or Jim McGue. FTDNA as James McGue. Hugh McGough who authored the Magoo.com website is a cousin confirmed by Y-dna. I have a genealogy facebook group “Carrackmacross Area Genealogy please join!