Author Topic: Aircraft photographs?  (Read 3275 times)

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Aircraft photographs?
« on: Monday 04 April 05 19:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a site where I could get a photograph of a 'Harvard' aircraft?

My husband's uncle died whilst test diving a Harvard in 1941 in Canada.  My husband and his family remember their late mother having photographs of his funeral possession and newspaper cuttings about the accident which had been sent to her mother, but no one knows where they are now.
I have managed to get details of the accident from the Airforce Assoc., they also told me the RCAF ceased to exist in 1968 and most of its records were moved to the National Archives of Canada and photographs from the Rockcliffe Photo Unit were also moved but they don't know where.  When I contacted the Archives they were very helpful, they sent me their opening times and list of newspapers to look up when there, unfortunately I live just outside London so I don't think I'll be visiting in the near future.  However, I thought if I could get a picture of the plane he was testing I could put this with the details I have of the accident so my husband's family have something about their uncle, I just don't know where to look.

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aircraft photographs?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 05 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandie

typed in Harvard plane in Yahoo and got this lot of pictures

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Harvard+plane&ei=UTF-8&qp_p=harvard+plane&imgsz=all&fr=slv1-&b=21

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 05 20:32 BST (UK) »
Ken

Thank you so much, that's a great site.
I've emailed them too and asked if they can fill in the details of the plane my husband's uncle was testing, you never know do you?
Thanks again.

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline cotdeps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Watch the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 05 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just wondered if you knew that there are Harvards flying in the UK at most major airshows. Gary Numan is well known as a Harvard flyer.
Regards
Cotdeps
Durham- Hail(e)s, Raffle, Fletcher, Nelson, Lawther, Appleby, Oliver.   Northumberland- Hail(e)s.   N.Yorks- Turner.   Lincs- Lyon, Fisher.