Author Topic: george priest ggg uncle  (Read 2830 times)

Offline miss piggy

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
george priest ggg uncle
« on: Friday 27 August 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
im trying to find george priest born kirton lincs 1800.he came to canada 1871 lived in vespra simco ontario  1881 census found him with wife elizabeth nee templeman both in the 80,s but British records say he died in nottinghamshire.but can not find his return. i think records are wrong and they died in ontario canada. as i can not see them coming home at that age.i can not get any death records from canada  here and would be really greatfull for some help.  thank you regards christine

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: george priest ggg uncle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 10 03:05 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming that you're referring to family trees that show his death 17 Sept 1887 Edwington Nottinhamshire.  There doesn't seem to be a death registration in FreeBMD that corresponds with that information.  Do you know their source.  Perhaps there is a gravestone with that date in that location or people are copying and pasting wrong information?

Looking at other family trees most have George's parents as George Priest and Lydia Parker and a marriage to Elizabeth Templeton in 1826 but there is also a family claiming a marriage to Elizabeth Templeman and that George Priest is b. 1798 Dawley Green Shropshire and spend his entire life in England and dies 1876 Dudley Worcestshire.

Another one has him dying 1851 in Canada.

The George Priest in Vespra probably died between 1881 and 1891 as there is an
Elizth Priest, 85, b. 1806 England mother-in-law in the household of John Sheffield, 47 B. Eng and his wife Elizabeth Sheffield 42 b. England on the 1891 census for Vespra Simcoe North

Also in the house are Sheffield children J.E. (20), W lt (20), Jos A. D. (15), T.N. (11), L.A. (6)
There are birth registrations for children of John Sheffield and Elizabeth Priest
Christina Elizabeth 30 Oct 1869
George July 1, 1872
Mary Adalade Jan 26, 1873
Thomas Norman Sept 9, 1880
Joseph Augustus Dowson April 24, 1876.

Did not find a death for Elizabeth Priest.

Debbie

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 10 03:43 BST (UK) »
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca
1871 Census of Ontario Index
George Priest, age 71, Simcoe N. 042, Vespra

1881 Census of Canada, Ontrio, simcoe North, District 139, Vespra E
page 29, lines 14 and 15
George Priest, age 80
Elizabeth Priest, age 70
page 29, lines 5-11
John Sheffield and family
You can view original documents at the site.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 August 10 04:08 BST (UK) »
Ontario Cemetery Finding aid

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php

Several Priest's buried at Minesing Cemetery, Simcoe County, Vespra Township

also Hillsdale Methodist Cemetery, Simcoe county, Flos township

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 August 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth says they came over in 1855...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=102833
Their son George in Medonte who married Mary Shipman says immigrated 1861 & 1851
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=57298
I see son Joseph's marriage in 1873, but don't see him on census
a descendant of daughter Eliz. http://www.jenforum.org/priest/messages/1545.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 August 10 08:59 BST (UK) »
thank you all so very much. my sister gave me the death notice of george in nottinghamshire.it was not untill i received a message on ancestery. i knew george came to canada. this is great news i can now tell my 5x cousin  the great news. thanks once again xx chris

Offline miss piggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 August 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
hi debbie
            yes i have found our Georges marriage to Elizabeth Templeton .27 nov 1826 at norwell.my sister could not have checked the bmd and just followed the wrong george priest.and ofcouse i followed suit. i have now amened my tree.and im following up the family in canada.i did find passenger list  with george priest  on it but could not  find elizabeth my 5x cousin who emailed me says george travelled with his son but which one we dont know as there are lots of priest on the list. i have 10 children for them.so i dont know if this is right.have got to go back to searching.thank you very much for your help regards christine

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 August 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine

John Sheffield and Elizabeth Priest apparently had twin sons John Edmund (?) and Wm Henry b. 22 Feb 1871. The mother is down as Christina and also as Christina on the 1871 Census taken just after the birth of the boys. She is down as Elizabeth in subsequent Censuses.

The Christina Elizabeth b. to these parents in 1869 is not with them in the 1871 Census. She may have died but I could not find a record of any death. She may also have been with other relatives given her mother had 2 new babies to care for but I couldn't find her elsewhere either. Nor have I been able to find any trace of her going forward.

1871 Census for George and Elizabeth.....

Ontario Simcoe Vespra

George Priest, 71, Farmer
Elizabeth, 65
William, 41, Farmer
Joseph, 27, Farmer

All born England. The census indicates William is married but there is no sign of a wife in the household.

Bouncing screen....will continue
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 August 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
Continuing......

Joseph married Elizabeth Osler 07 Feb 1873. Her family was living next door to the Priests in the 1871 Census.

I haven't been able to find a death registration for either George or Elizabeth in Ontario, despite trying several different spellings.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada