Author Topic: Clarence H Stephens b1912 parents dead end  (Read 4159 times)

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarence H Stephens b1912 parents dead end
« on: Saturday 28 August 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
I have my grandads birth cert (Clarence Henry Stephens b 7/4/1912) and his parents are CLARENCE STEPHENS commercial traveller and FLORENCE formally HENFREY .  The box which stating residence says "Mother 130 Rylance street" with F Stephens squiggled on the top...Does this mean that father is not resident there? I can not find anything for these 2, births or marriage and a complete dead end.  Can anyone suggest anything also who is at  130 Rylance street, Ardwick south on 1911 census?

Florence went on to have 2 more children (florence 1914 and gladys 1916) all living as STEPHENS.

My mother says that her dad (clarence b1912) found out after his fathers death that he was not called Stephens and that he was already married from wales but she cant remember his name so Im wondering who this original Clarence stephens is and Florence took his name as wife then this later man took the name Stpehens to fit in with the family.

Any suggestions or is that it.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clarence H Stephens b1912 parents dead end
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
Can anyone suggest anything also who is at  130 Rylance street, Ardwick south on 1911 census?

We cannot do look ups on 1911 for copyright reasons.
But you can look yourself!

and another quote - "My mother says that her dad (clarence b1912) found out after his fathers death that he was not called Stephens and that he was already married from wales but she cant remember his name so Im wondering who this original Clarence stephens is and Florence took his name as wife then this later man took the name Stpehens to fit in with the family".

I am not understanding this paragraph. Who was not called Stephens? Who was alresdy married? - if Clarence or his dad then their name would still be Stephens whoever they were married to.  Do yuo mean that the mother of whichever one we are talking about had been married before?

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
sorry the man who my grandfather thought was married to his mother turned out to not be Mr Stephens, when he was sorting out papers he had a different surname buttook on the mothers surname of STEPHENS in order to fit into the family I pressume.  It seems that Florence may have not ever married CLARENCE STEPHENS as I cant find a marr cert but for some reason took his name but then another man came on the scene and took the surname STEPHENS, hope that makes sense. 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 August 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
When and where did Florence Stephens die?   Need to know when she was born to enable us to try and trace her birth.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 August 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Im afraid I can not say - I dont know when she was born, married or died, she is on the birth cert of my grandfather and that is all I can find.

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 August 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
HENFRY is quite rare, and seem on the later census years to be mostly confined to Notts, Leic etc.

Here's 3 Birth Index entries that  m i g h t  be relevant. I can see the first 2 on the 1901 census.

so the only unaccounted for by death or marriage is the 1894 Barrow on Soar Lass.

• Florence Annie Henfrey 1888 Jul-Aug-Sep Leicestershire - Melton Mowbray  -- marries a Frank Abel in 1913.
  • Florence May Henfrey 1894 Jan-Feb-Mar Leicestershire - Barrow on Soar 
  • Florence Henfrey 1895 Jan-Feb-Mar Derbyshire - Mansfield -- Infant death.

I wonder if its actually HENDRY or even HENRY?

Altho having said that, I see that both the younger girls also have HENFRY in their Index entries...

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 August 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
I note your grandfather married in Manchester in 1937 - if he was brought up by his mother and a man who he thought was Stephens (but wasn't) was this in Lancashire?   If so, presumably Florence would have died in that county too.   Did the man who wasn't a Stephens die in Lancashire?

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 August 10 13:37 BST (UK) »
when he was sorting out papers he had a different surname buttook on the mothers surname of STEPHENS in order to fit into the family I pressume.

Can you tell us the other surname (and christian name if you know it)  that your grandfather found on the papers, any clue may help

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 August 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Yes my mums memory isnt that great but she says she was about 15 when Florence henfrey died which is about 1955 all lived and died in Lancashire.

(She actually told me she was called Gladys but when I sent away for the birth cert of her dad it said florence on it, but her dad had a sister gladys and I also found another sister Florence who died at 2yrs born 1914 which she knew nothing about) but it says definately on the birth certs and register HENFREY which i wonder if its an irish name?

Clarence Stephens b1912 married Florence may beckett in 1937 address was 78 Higher Ardwick and his occupation looks like Parker ruler? on his marr cert he has his father as CLARENCE HENRY STEPHENS deceased theatrical agent.  Im not sure how much of that is correct. My mothers said she never met her grandfather and she was born 1940.  

I am very confused myself sometimes when I speak to my mother she said her dad cleared out the papers of the person she pressumed was his father after his mother died and discovered he wasnt called Stephens so im not sure if he was brought up knowing this man wasnt his dad but thought he was married to his mum or he thought it was his biological dad but she said he never spoke about it and Clarence Stephens died 1976 in manchester.

My mother once said the other name was Evans then she changed that when I spoke yesterday and said it was welsh like williams so I couldnt say..it could be anything.