Author Topic: George AH HOY  (Read 19780 times)

Offline Val Grant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George AH HOY
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:27 GMT (UK) »
George (Ah) Hoy married Ann Christina Newlands.  Her family came from the Stanthorpe area in Southern Queensland (South of Toowoomba).
Ogilvie, Davey, Davis, Davidson, Price, Newlands

Offline Val Grant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
As you can tell I am researching my family and the Hoy family is one of great interest.  I can tell you that if you have a great great and or grandfather with the names George, Robert, Alfred or Thomas Hoy (unless the father of these boys), you are not related.  Not one of these boys ever married and remained single until they died.  The gold was their mistress and mining it was their life.  They did not have time to marry.  My grandmother was the boys' niece.

You will find Ann Christina Hoy (formerly Newlands), is actually buried as Annie Christina Hoy.  Ann Christina Hoy and George Hoy (Hood) had, Agnes Jane, Ada Florence, Ann Christina, Alice (did not live past one year old), Then the boys, Robert, Alfred, George and Thomas.  Ann Christina (Jnr) married Ioan Price (pronounced Yawn). 

I hope this clears up some misconception I have been reading about.

Val G
Ogilvie, Davey, Davis, Davidson, Price, Newlands

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 16 November 13 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Out of curiosity, were they Chinese?  A lot of discussion this thread about it.

regards
jennaya

Offline genboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 05 January 19 06:28 GMT (UK) »
This discussion has been going on for a years about 'George Hoy', of Charters Towers, QLD - was he of Chinese 'AH HOY' or Cambridge England 'HOY' ?  My recent DNA test has cleared it up I hope.
I  mentioned earlier that I'm descendant from 2 of the Fulbourn Cambridge HOYS from the 1855 ship 'Constitution', and I proposed the George Hoy of Charters Towers QLD, was a long lost brother of these Hoys of Maitland, NSW. I was put down proposing such a notion, so I sighed and put the BMD certificates away in the drawer as duds. 
But the DNA test is in and YES I am closely linked to those QLD Hoys (ref Ancestry.com trees +DNA).  So I think I'm safe to assume he wasn't Chinese, but he was a baker.  Check Trove for articles in "Toowoomba Chronicle".
But for some unknown reason c.1867-71 he was obfuscating his name to 'Hood' to make it hard to track him down; maybe like his brother William he had legal troubles? 
So case closed as far as I'm concerned.  Any Qs on the lineage just ask. bye
Tranter, Spruce, Lawley, Porton @ STS
Evans, John, Morgan, Rees @ GLA
Coxon, Linsley @ DUR 
Hoy, Shildrick @ CAM
Woodbridge, Best @ BKM
Longbottom, Waddington @ YKS
Cochran, Dougan, Widdows, Johnston @ Ireland

Offline Albrann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I have read the thread and may I be so bold as to be a party pooper on this one.
'majm' put forward the possibility the Charters Towers, George Hoy d1922 was from the one from the 1855 'Constitution' from Cambridge England, and I think he maybe.  He was my GG Uncle.  He has been missing from the records from 1867 (George Hood M date), where he was a baker from Mailtand, NSW (near me), with brothers Alfred and Thomas Hoy (matches his children's names).  I stumbled across him in QLD records and tracked him back to the AKA George Hood marriage in Sydney.  Then I got his D cert from QLD, which states he's from Maitland, NSW.  His brother William was running bad debts and using George's name, so I suspect he used a pseudonym to escape court action.  Another of his brother's changed his name too and hid in Sydney, dodging all record keeping - its a family thing:)  Although not conclusive, the born in Maitland on his D cert is compelling.  I think I'll get the M cert and some children's B certs for more info.  getting expensive if I'm wrong.
Please prove me wrong or otherwise.  Comments?

Offline Albrann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
The fella that went to Sydney, I think Alfred Hoy from Warialda... Any idea what he changed his name to?

Offline genboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alfred HOY
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Ah brother Alfred, he was a successful shopkeeper in Warialda, NSW. His nickname was 'Stephen' as I suspect he was nicknamed after an an older brother Stephen who died in Fulbourn,Cambridge before he was born.  His brother (my ancestor) Thomas went from Lambton in Newcastle to build Alfred's store in Warialda in the early 1890s.  But in the mid 1890s Alfred fell in love with his housekeeper/nanny Margaret Greenwood and ran away to Pennant Hills, Sydney (near Fulbourne Ave - a giveaway). 
He spent a lot of trouble 'not being seen', and it took years of research to track him down; but I found he changed/used the name as just 'ALFRED', and his sons from this relationship took that name as their surname.  There are DNA matches to these children's families and mine. He's buried at Rookwood Anglican as Alfred HOY.
Tranter, Spruce, Lawley, Porton @ STS
Evans, John, Morgan, Rees @ GLA
Coxon, Linsley @ DUR 
Hoy, Shildrick @ CAM
Woodbridge, Best @ BKM
Longbottom, Waddington @ YKS
Cochran, Dougan, Widdows, Johnston @ Ireland

Offline Albrann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred HOY
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Ah brother Alfred, he was a successful shopkeeper in Warialda, NSW. His nickname was 'Stephen' as I suspect he was nicknamed after an an older brother Stephen who died in Fulbourn,Cambridge before he was born.  His brother (my ancestor) Thomas went from Lambton in Newcastle to build Alfred's store in Warialda in the early 1890s.  But in the mid 1890s Alfred fell in love with his housekeeper/nanny Margaret Greenwood and ran away to Pennant Hills, Sydney (near Fulbourne Ave - a giveaway). 
He spent a lot of trouble 'not being seen', and it took years of research to track him down; but I found he changed/used the name as just 'ALFRED', and his sons from this relationship took that name as their surname.  There are DNA matches to these children's families and mine. He's buried at Rookwood Anglican as Alfred HOY.

Offline Albrann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Genboy, that's great info. I've searched for Alfred Hoys formal death records to no avail.
I'd be keen on finding his grave details at Rookwood too, I've already found Margaret Greenwoods.
I'm GG son of these pair.