Author Topic: 1851 census no sign  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
1851 census no sign
« on: Saturday 28 August 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
I have been looking and lllllooooookkkkkkiiiinnggg for My John Draycott in the 1851  to NO avail ...
You have all helped me try and I really appreciate that..  But I now have his marriage and death cert which verify his dob as 1835 or 1836

He is definately the son of William ----

and he married age 22 in Leicester to Jane Norris. His father is a FWK as is he.

He died in Leicester in 1909 aged 73 in Bede street and his son William is present at death.

Now between us previously we had found that he was living in Anstey in 1841  with his father and his brother (Charles a couple of years older)  and that his mother Alice (nee Pollard) had died c 1837.  Then his father married again to Mary (possibly Smith)  and that John was not baptised until c 1848 with William and Mary as his parents......

But I cannot find him in 1851     I think I may have found his brother Charles in the Leicester Infirmary Sanctuary....
So maybe he had been sent away or maybe he too was there somewhere.  I  imagine he could also have moved into Leicester by this time...

so Not sure any more ideas would be wonderful...

Looking for:
JOHN DRAYCOTT  AGE 17
IN 1851 Census  BORN ANSTEY LEICS... ???   

thanks xin

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census no sign
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Is this a poss
1851 census H0107 2089/215/11
8 queen st St margarets Leicester
William Dracot b 1807 frameworknitter
Ann b 1809
John b 1833 frameworknitter ansty liecester
Mary J b 1846
all born liecester
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
oh  crikey  it could be ... if so it messes up previous thought out parents... oooooo ??? ::)
will have to go through it again.........ooooooo :-X :-\

It would mean that William was married AGAIN  so will see if Mary Smith dies oh   dear..

thank you   ... xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 August 10 07:20 BST (UK) »
OK OK OK

ooooh   why do we do this...

I went through everything again and again... and the answer I came up with is this...
Draycott common name in Anstey  transcribed often wrongly...
So I Have sufficient certs on John that shows me his father and his wife .. and Mike found me his Parish reg.  so all that is good.
It gets confusing because his father William seems to have married 3 times ---
John is the son of William and Alice nee Pollard.... she dies and William marries Mary (i think nee smith)  all as per census and checking BMD where I can.  Then due to not being able to find John with a William and Mary apart from the one born in 1848 which is WRONG (sorry)  then the 1851 as above showing him as John Dracos with William and Ann.... I checked to see if Mary died............I found the death of a Mary in 1848  but the birth of Mary Jane in 1849  this could  be due to late registrations...  I then found a Marriage of a William to an Ann Wey  (I think)  in 1851 
so that could be why that census shows John with William and Ann..

To verify all this it will cost a fortune in certificates..... so will have to work out if I can find any details to verify before going off on a tangent and buy 4 certs that could all be wrong..... oh why why why

xin

I am putting this away again  for some time I think.  I must have driven you all crazy especially Mike as he gave me this info some time ago.. Please forgive me   all   so sorry   xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 August 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
Its when you find things like this in the middle of your search that starts to knock you off balance... shown here for interest .. I do hope they are not my lot.. but sounds like they could well be??!?!  oh dear...

2 collective petitions (convicts and undersigned by 7 people, from Ansty, Leicester including previous employers (trades given); 49 people, from Ansty, Leicester (trades given)) on behalf of Thomas Bramley, 24 years and John Draycott [Thomas Draycott] [John Drakeley] [John Drakard], 23 years, convicted at Leicester Quarter Session on 18 October 1831, for theft - stealing 1 strike of wheat from a barn on 23 September 1831, property of John Clarke of New Parks, Leicester.
There is also a covering letter from Robert Bond, convicts' solicitor, enclosing petition and is certain they are innocent dated 16 October 1831.
Aa certificate of good character from William Dexter, Draycott's employer dated 7 November 1831.
A certificate of good character from Joseph Pollard, Bramley's employer dated 10 November 1831.
Gaoler's report: Bramley - not known and Draycott - character not good, bad connections. Grounds for clemency: previous good characters - honest and sober, innocent of crime; did not know the wheat they were in possession of was stolen; Bramley was drunk on the night in question and incapable of committing a robbery; Bramley's wife and Elizabeth Davis could have sworn to Bramley's drunkenness but were not called by the defendants' counsel; the convicts had character witnesses (John Pollard, John Tims, [Mr Thurlby] and Thomas Underwood) but the trial was held before they could arrive; Thomas Pratt, the constable, agreed to be a character witness for Bramley at trial but then spoke against him; Draycott was in bed when robbery was committed; Bramley has a wife and 6 children and Draycott has a wife and 2 children and one that has recently died due to distress; convict's families are destitute, in distress and now dependent on parish but have borne themselves well; the convicts have suffered enough so could they be returned to England from Bermuda. Initial sentence: 7 years transportation, now in Bermuda. Annotation: nil. GQ 62

xin