Author Topic: MARTIN, HUTTON & DUDLEY  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Mrswatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARTIN, HUTTON & DUDLEY
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for some information for my step-dad.   His mother was Joyce Martin, born October 7, 1906 in Faldouet, Jersey.  On birth register, father listed as James MARTIN.  Mother: Ida HUTTON.    The stumbling block I have come across is on 1911 England Census (Lancashire),  Joyce Martin is now Joyce DUDLEY, grand-daughter to Mary Clarke Beswick DUDLEY.  Ida  Hutton is now Ida MARTIN (b. Birmingham, warwickshire) and listed as widowed and Mary's neice.

I am asking if anyone would have any information on these families. My step-dad seems to think that his grand-parents were the Lord and Lady Dudley of the Channel Islands.  Thanks so much for any help that you can give.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN, HUTTON & DUDLEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Have you viewed the actual 1911 image to confirm that Joyce's surname is definitely shown as Dudley and that it's not a transcription error.  Was Joyce a twin?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mrswatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thank you.
 Yes, I have looked at the census and she is listed as Joyce Dudley.  She is also a twin, this being Marjorie(y).   Their mother is listed as Ida Martin (widowed) and as the neice.   James Martin name is on the register and he is listed as an 'annuitant'. 
Mary Dudley filled out the 1911 census herself, and lists the two girls as her grandchildren.   I know that she and her husband, Frederick Dudley, had 3 children:  Beatrice, Laura and Harold.  This is what has me confused.

I thank you in advance for any help to clear this up for me, would be wonderful.
Sincerely,
Debbie

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think it's most likely to be an error in the filling of the return by Mary Dudley

If you have sighted both girls birth certs and parents are James Martin & Ida Hutton, I would class it as just that
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)