Author Topic: Bruntons of Dalkeith  (Read 11873 times)

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bruntons of Dalkeith
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about the Brunton family of Dalkeith, and I am looking for confirmation that my great great grandfather John Brunton was part of that family. I have learned not to assume I am on the right track just because I have found information that sounds like it could be true!  :-\

John Brunton was born in Cowsland or Cousland Midlothian in 1838, and he married Maria Frances Langley in 1864 in Auckland N.Z. I believe his parents may have been Robert Brunton and Ann Tough or Touch and I have seen some history of these Bruntons on the internet, but I would really like to confirm that my John Brunton who married Maria Langley in New Zealand is really the son of Robert and Ann of Dalkeith, and therefore to confirm all I have learned about that family, which can be traced at least to the 1600s.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bruntons of Dalkeith
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Midlothian 1841 census has several entries for a John Brunton in that age range

I am not familiar with info on NZ marriage or death certs but would either show his parents names?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:46 BST (UK) »
I have John's death certificate which says his father was Robert, mother unknown, and that  he was born in Edinburgh. I don't  think I have their marriage certificate- perhaps I should try to track one down.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
To save you looking - from the same website as I posted on your other post - it appears that NZ marriage certs prior to 1880 will not have parents details
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
There is this 1841 entry for Cranston Midlothian - Address- Cousland and all b Midlothian

Robert Brunton 38 agric  labourer
Ann   40
Mary  15
Robert 9
Elisabath   7
Janet   3
John  2
Cranston ED 7 Page 3 Line 1250

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 04:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that census sounds promising. I am finding lots of little things that support that his parents were Robert and Ann, but nothing definitive yet.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
I have seen headstones for Bruntons at the Crighton cemetary. Cranston is about 2 miles down the road.

Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline JSBrunton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 August 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in finding more about the Brunton family, and this may be the same family (of Dalkeith).  My great great grandfather's name was also John Brunton of Scotland. The birth certificate shows (my great grandfather) Archie Reuben Brunton, born 8 April 1884 at Wellesley Street, Auckland to John Brunton (age 45) of Scotland and Marie Frances Brunton (nee Langley age 36) of England.  The exact area of Scotland and England is not clearly shown on the birth certificate.  It also shows that John Brunton and Marie Frances Langley were married on 12 May 1864 in Auckland.  Sorry I don't have any information about the parents of John Brunton.

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hello JSBrunton, it certainly sounds like the same family. I looked for an Archie Reuben Brunton on the I.G.I. and his birthplace came up as Silverdale Auckland which is where my great grandmother Frances Ethel Brunton was born in 1886. There is also a mention of the marriage of John Brunton in 1864 to Maria Frances Langley which says his parents are Robert Brunton and Ann Tough which backs up my theory.  :D