Author Topic: Advice/Help  (Read 4485 times)

Offline R1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice/Help
« on: Monday 30 August 10 10:04 BST (UK) »

I've hit a brick wall with tracing birth records for an ancestor, his parents also don't appear to exist.

He was born approx 1848/9, his parents are listed on his marriage & death certs.  (easily legible) He doesn't seem to have his birth registered anywhere.  checking Census records, he's put his birthplace as Ross-shire, Muir of Ord, the earliest Census record (1871 Glasgow) has his birthplace as Inverness, though he was living with his father in law at the time, so I assume he got the details slightly wrong.

Looking at the 1861 Census' for Ross & Cromarty and Inverness for a 13 yr old of the same name, I did find one that I guess would seem most likely and would explain the lack of Birth records, he's listed as nephew of the head, a single woman(matching surname) in Tain, his birthplace listed as "America, Past N.K."

I've had a quick look on "ancestry.co.uk" for American births/marriages/deaths for him and his parents in USA without any promising leads.  I've also checked Scotland's People for Marriage records of his parents - nothing  ???

Any ideas of what to try next would be much appreciated, thanks  :)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice/Help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi R1 - and welcome!

Of course he would have been born before the start of central registration in Scotland (1855) so you are looking for parish records.

If you need assistance, it might be a good idea to post some facts - names and census references as a minimum ...

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline R1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:52 BST (UK) »

The Parish Records (via Scotland's People) was where I first looked for his Birth Records, but found nothing  :(

His name: Charles Ross; Parents: Alexander Ross, Mary Ross (maiden name Urquhart)  Earliest definite Census record (Census 1871 644/05 027/05 009)  There were no middle names listed.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
Have you found the parents' marriage?

Is it possible he was registered as URQUHART, having been slightly "premature"?   ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome from me also  :)

Could this be him in 1851 with his grandparents.

Muir of Ord, Urray, Rossshire
85 ED 4 p 20

Alexr Urquhart, 66, crofter, b. Urquhart, Ross-shire
Mary Urquhart, 65
Margret Urquhart, 27
Catherine Urquhart, 18
Charles Ross, grds, 3

All b. Urray except Alexander

Was going to suggest that, AR  ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline R1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
Have you found the parents' marriage?

Is it possible he was registered as URQUHART, having been slightly "premature"?   ;D

I keep getting "no records found" for anything with Alexander & Mary together, their marriage records would at least allow me to trace back a generation.

Thanks Gadget, that seems a lot closer than I've been able to find.  Good idea about being registered as Urquhart as well AR.

Charles' Marriage list parents as "Alexander Ross, Pattern Designer (deceased) and Mary Ross, M.S. Urquhart"....the notable absence is the deceased for Mary (she is on his death cert, but that could be presumed given it was 1917), so maybe AR died and she's done a runner?? :-\

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify - AR in this context means Mr ROSS and not me?

;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
In 1841

Muir of Ord, Urray
85 ED 4 P 5

Urquhart
Alexander, 50, general labourer
Mary, 15
Peggy, 14
Anne, 10
Catherine, 8

It looks as if the Mary on the 1851 was away (I've checked the originals thoroughly and the ages are correct)

Could this Mary (15-19 on the 1841) be Charles's mother ?

Gadget

(AR -  you'd never do a runner   ;D )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline R1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify - AR in this context means Mr ROSS and not me?

;D

:D

Yes it does, I was being lazy with the typing, sorry  ;)