Author Topic: Advice/Help  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice/Help
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
This might well be Mary Urquhart in 1851 and, if so, she didn't marry AR before Charles was born. R1 - in Scotland, children were often called by their father's surname whether or not they were illegitimate.

North Kessock,  Knockbain
73 ED 6 P 32

McKay household

Mary Urquhart, servant 26, house servant, b. Urray

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 August 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
None of the Urquhart children are in the  SP baptisms so I'm wondering if the family were non-conformist (Free Pres Church or RC, for e.g.) In this case it is likely that Charles wouldn't appear either.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline R1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 August 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
None of the Urquhart children are in the  SP baptisms so I'm wondering if the family were non-conformist (Free Pres Church or RC, for e.g.) In this case it is likely that Charles wouldn't appear either.

Gadget

Thanks Gadget, I'd checked the Catholic Parish Registers as a long shot, which had no record.

So, unless I can find a death record for AR, then that will be as far as I can go on the paternal line  :(  (Idon't have  much info on him other than name & occupation)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 August 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
There weren't a lot of RC in that area  :-\  In which denomination did he marry?

Have you thought that Alexander might well be the grandfather, Alexander Urquhart, and he gave this name to avoid embarrassment . I have instances in my family where the grandfather's name was used in place of father's when the person was illegitimate  :-\

I've been looking for possibles ARs on the 1841 but I've also been looking for Charles Rosses as I don't see any Charles in the Urquhart line.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 August 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering about the Pattern designer . Was it connected with material or was it a pattern maker:

Pattern Maker         Metal pattern makers made forms and moulds for casting iron products

from   http://scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm

Offline R1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 August 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
There weren't a lot of RC in that area  :-\  In which denomination did he marry?

Have you thought that Alexander might well be the grandfather, Alexander Urquhart, and he gave this name to avoid embarrassment . I have instances in my family where the grandfather's name was used in place of father's when the person was illegitimate  :-\

I've been looking for possibles ARs on the 1841 but I've also been looking for Charles Rosses as I don't see any Charles in the Urquhart line.

Gadget

Charles was Protestant as was him wife and future generations, as far as I know so far were all Protestant as well, I checked RC because of the lack of success elsewhere.

Occupation; the references I find Googling the term "Pattern designer" around that period seem to relate to the Textile industry.  Having said that, if someone makes metal patterns someone would have to design them?

The Scotland's People Website doesn't have the option of searching by occupation.  Maybe with the site being pay-per-view, it might be worth taking a day out to go to the Scotland's People Centre in person and trawl through as many death recs. as I can.

The name given the seemingly unusual (or at least specific) occupation, they would know something about the father?