Author Topic: MALZARD, Abraham, St. Aubin's  (Read 10524 times)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MALZARD, Abraham, St. Aubin's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 September 10 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

I've had another look at the Abraham death that I found just to make sure before putting myself in print! There is no further information. I also looked to see if there were any other Abraham's with a father of Pierre who could have died. Unfortunately there was one  baptised 9th Jan 1731 (Pierre and Jeane Hacquoil).

As regards the marriage of Isaac and Suzanne. It just goes to show never trust the IGI.  Their 4 children Henry (25th Nov 1781), Abraham (25th Jun 1783), Jean (31st Oct 1786), Francois (3rd Jan 1790) all clearly show the parents as Henri Malzard and Susanne Laurens. Their marriage took place at St Saviours 16th Aug 1780.

Not sure where you go from here.

Stewart

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 September 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

So we still have a possibility that 1757 Abraham was our Newfoundland man and was counted as 60 in 1815.

I don't know how you are searching the parish records but apparently there is a master index for this time period called Dr. Gottlieb's marriage index of Jersey.  If you can access that index  (say from about 1780 to 1799), there should be at least one entry for Abraham Malzard.  If we can determine his wife and children, it could be a starting point.  I can't think of anything else to try.

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

Not good news I'm afarid.

I couldn't remember why I hadn't looked at Gottlieb's marriage index before - then when I looked at it I realised why! It only has surnames of the couple, no first names. So not much use.

Stewart

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 September 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
This search sure is proving difficult.   My Malzard ancestors faced hardships and persevered (or I wouldn't be here), so I will not give up either.

There might be a clue in a folder held in the Jersey Heritage Archives Research Documents labelled L/C/60/A/12.  The description is a little vague but it is supposed to be some maritime family trees and Malzard is referenced among others.   I don't know if Abraham is there specifically, but if you are visiting the archive and have a spare moment, perhaps you can take a look.  I really do appreciate the effort you have made to help me and if you are too busy, I understand.   At least we have established some of the family history with this thread, and you never know who is reading this and what they might be able to add.

Thankyou so much,
Eric

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 September 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

I've already looked at them. They were the Malzards of St Lawrence. I will look again next week just to be on the safe side.

Stewart

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
Any luck?  Even if it is St. Lawrence, I would like to track any Abraham Malzard you come across.
Thanks,
Eric

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 September 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

I've managed to look at the file today (I've been away in the UK).

The file is about the voyage of George Malzard in his ship the Prospero which was the first ship to go up the Amazon in 1864.

However there is one typewritten sheet which notes an Abraham Malzard was captain of Pigeon in 1737 and Jane in 1812 (not necessarily the same Abraham). Also an Isaac Malzard was captain of Peace 1790 - 1792, Lottery in 1803, Margaret in 1820 and a Privateer c1803. There is no further information or any details on where the information came from.

Finally I can see an Abraham Malzard who was appointed Parish School Master in St Lawrence on 24th May 1740.

Stewart

Offline gules

• RootsChat Extra
  • Arms of Michael Dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 January 13 12:29 GMT (UK) »
there is considerable info on UK and Channel Island privateers back to 1793 on www.1812privateers.org
Dun
War of 1812: Listing some 15,000 British Pows, many off British ships,  held in US along with American Pows held in UK
www.1812privateers.org