Author Topic: Is this in Berkshire?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is this in Berkshire?
« on: Monday 30 August 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
I have an obituary from a US Newspaper for a John W. Remington son of John and Ellen.  The information states that he was born 17 Mar 1869 in Barnsley, Berkshire, England.  Is there a Barnsley in Berkshire?  I only know of one in Yorkshire. 

I know obituary information is only as good as what the person reporting knows.  I don't see his birth registered in the GRO anywhere but I don't think it was mandatory at the time.

Berkshire geography is foreign to me. If anyone could help I would be grateful.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is this in Berkshire?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
The only birth for a John W Remington on Ancestry in this period is a John Walling Remington, Jul/Sep quarter of 1868, Ulverston Reg. Dist. (Lancashire).
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
There isn't a Barnsley in Berkshire nowadays but there is a small village called Barnsley in Gloucestershire that could possibly have been within the county boundaries at some point (guessing here but not so far away that it's impossible).  I tried searching in the 1871 census for a Remington family with John as the head, Ellen his wife and a son John and I did get one result but apart from the names it doesn't seem to fit:

John, head, born 1814, pauper
Ellen, wife, born 1834, pauper
John, son, born 1861 scholar
William 1863
James 1865

Living Whittle End, North Witchford, Cambridgeshire
Not much help at all sorry!
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
I know I have looked also--the article said he--I am assuming his parents too--emigrated to the US when he was 10 yrs old--I can't seem to find them in the US 1880 census either.  I am aware that Ellen could be Eleanor and also Helen.

The "W" could be something he gave himself also.  My gr grandfather has a "C" but he was not born nor baptised with a middle name.

Thank you all for looking.  I will keep trying.  Maybe order his death cert which in the state he died - the mother's maiden name was asked--if any one knew.  I hope he didn't make up a birthdate but must be nice to be born on St. Paddy's day.

If anyone needs help with Co. Durham or Northumberland I have many resources.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk