Author Topic: Elizabeth Fleshman 1851  (Read 8910 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Fleshman 1851
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 09 October 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
I had a look previously and found Henry in the household of John the Carpenter.  1851 Ann R is recorded wife of John, Master Carpenter.

If 'your' John enlisted at age 18, it would be interesting to know where exactly and also from where he absconded?  The railway didn't reach Exeter until 1844 and Ann born Limehouse returned to her origins after John's demise.

I have traced a Devon Army deserter from the 31st Foot in 1829 who very luckily for me had his details extracted from the 'Hue & Cry'.  He absconded from Ireland and although I have found him in consecutive census returns from 1841 scattered amongst the London districts, he didn't admit to his actual age or birthplace until 1871;  presumably then feeling secure from apprehension?  Sadly, Attestation papers for deserters don't appear to have been preserved.

Depending on whether he was apprehended, it looks as if John was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98th_(The_Prince_of_Wales%27s)_Regiment_of_Foot
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 09 October 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
This is a possibility, his daughters were in this area :-\

Deaths Sep 1866
Flashman  John  46  Mile End  1c 690

Think its one I will have to send off for :D

You have been of fantastic help dee-jay thank you so much :-*
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 October 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
Personally, I'd be more inclined to go for a birth certificate for one of the daughters in Stoke Damerel Reg Dist.  A death cert won't give you the wife's maiden name but a birth cert will name the mother.   ;)
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Very true dee-jay.  Thanks again.

I have now got a very good picture of the family warts n all. 

Some bits to tidy and confirm but still a good picture :-*

Think I'll have to take the family to Devon for a holiday next year ;D ;D
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk