Author Topic: Newington War Memorial  (Read 1116 times)

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newington War Memorial
« on: Wednesday 01 September 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there.
         Stephen Hill's birth and registration was in Newington in London, but he did not actually live there. He died of wounds on 15th October 1916 and is buried in Etaples Cemetery in France. I would assume that with his very fleeting association with the area that his name does NOT appear on the Newington War Memorial, but could someone please check for me to confirm this?
                   Many thanks,
                                   Scobie

Offline Christcooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newington War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 September 10 07:18 BST (UK) »
Mornin, Ive checked roll of honour list for memorial but his name does not appear. Where else was he associated with?

Chris
Essex/Cambridgeshire: Cooper, Haynes
Suffolk:Peachey
Scotland: Ross, McCubbin
Somerset: Bisgrove, Parfitt

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there Christcooper.
                Many thanks for checking that out, it is much appreciated. I suspected that his name would'nt appear on that Memorial as Stephen's birth in Newington was "convenient" for his mother as it was away from her home in Kent. Apart from his grave in France, Stephen's name definitely appears on the memorial at Warehorne, Kent, where he lived a young boy.
                  Stephen seems to have moved around a bit. In 1901 the family is living at Hampton (at Richmond, Surrey), another memorial I need to check. I have not seen him in the 1911 census, so do not know where he was at that particular time. During the war he married and lived at Hornsey for a short time, so may possibly appear on that one.
                   When Stephen enlisted in the army, he was living at Moseley, Birmingham (I already have a post on the Warwickshire section).
                    As I say, a mobile chap, who may appear on all, some or none of these memorials. One man I was researching appeared on four different memorials!
                    Thanks again,
                               Regards,
                                   Scobie

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 10 23:48 BST (UK) »
Mornin, Ive checked roll of honour list for memorial but his name does not appear. Where else was he associated with?

Chris

Hi Chris
is that list published anywhere?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk