Author Topic: STOYLE & LEE Carpenters & Builders US lookup  (Read 19389 times)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: STOYLE & LEE Carpenters & Builders US lookup
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 25 September 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
I go for Timmie. In the text of the card, the m in "from" --in the top line--has two "humps," while the m in  "timber," in the third line, and "came," further down, both have three humps. Just a function of the fellow's writing.

With that, I have to sign off--an hour or so ago.

I sent a message to a Rootschatter with impressive research skills and lots of enthusiasm, inviting her to have a look. Maybe new eyes will find something in the online records that has been overlooked.
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 26 September 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
This could be a photo of Edward Stoyle, born in 1864 in Scotland, where his father, John Clarke Stoyle, was stationed as a soldier.   Edward followed him into the army for several years:  his army record can be seen on "Findmypast".    He appears in the 1901 census as a carpenter in Bedwelty, Wales.   He married there in 1904 but left his wife and went to the U.S.A., apparently before the 1911 census, when he did not show up in Britain.   He is said to have married again in the U.S.A.   At the end of his life he was ordered ashore to hospital in New York when about to return to Britain and he died in March 1930.

The man in the photo looks tall, and this Edward was over 6 feet in height (and dark-haired), according to his army papers.    The language in the postcard sounds a bit military, too.

Certainly this Edward was the "unmarried" Edward, aged 46, whom Erato found in Manhattan in the 1910 census.

But the Edward Stoyle in Manhattan in 1910 claimed he had immigrated in 1895 and that his naturalization papers were filed.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 26 September 10 03:18 BST (UK) »
I don't think this has been mentioned...is it possible to enlarge the man's face, so we may guess his age?   I think you at one time mentioned one or two people in the window?  I cannot see them; would it be possible to enlarge that?

Finally, does the man have any identifying items on him: a pin in his jacket, a pocket watch, etc.?

Ted mentions I have done this, I have done that - perhaps he could be Stoyle, since his name is first (on the sign)?  ???  Again, this may have been mentioned, but Tom is manager, so possibly he might be Lee and not Stoyle (if Tom is even one of them!).

Is that a mailbox on the gate?  On second thought, perhaps the gate is open and the "mailbox" is on the inside of the gate.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 26 September 10 03:38 BST (UK) »
Circa 1910 (I cannot view further details), there are 9 Stoyle's sailing to the UK.  Two passengers (whom may not have even sailed in the same year) are S Stoyle and Carrie Lee Stoyle.   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:16 BST (UK) »
Carrie Lee Stoyle was an actress who travelled from Philadelphia to Liverpool on the SS Haverford in May 1908.

S. Stoyle travelled in 1910 from Yokohama.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:21 BST (UK) »
Oh well, thank you anyway.  ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm forgetting what has already been mentioned.  Has anyone tried to find out if there was a Frank Stoyle in England c1910?

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:58 BST (UK) »
I don’t think we know what Frank’s surname was.   It might help to know more about the context of this postcard.  How is it connected to 001uk’s family? 

It seems to me all we know is that Tom, Ted, Sally, Frank and Timmie were all known to each other - either family or friends.  Tom was probably either a Stoyle or a Lee [more likely Lee, in my opinion].   Ted, Sally, Frank and Timmie were all probably  British.  We don’t know the nationality of Tom Lee/Stoyle.  We don’t know the identity of the man in the photo - but he is probably either Ted or Tom.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 26 September 10 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato:

I'm just trying to research other avenues, since Stoyle & Lee apparently don't want to be found.  I was wondering if any of the people mentioned on the postcard were other Stoyle family members.

I agree, if we knew the connection to 001uk's family, it might help.