Author Topic: John GOBLE, Kent - birth or marriage please  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Lady of Kent

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John GOBLE, Kent - birth or marriage please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 May 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know a fair bit about John Goble as he was my GGGGrandfather. My Great Nan was the Amelia Jane Goble, born 1870 in Canterbury, father William Goble born 1820 Canterbury, died 1881 Cheriton, Folkestone. John Goble was a confectioner, and the family lived near St Peter's Church where at least some of them were christened. I have lived in Canterbury nearly all my life, and though I've not had any time recently to do any family history I do have a lot of info at my parents' house in folders!

Theresa

Offline Searcher from Oz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Michael Callan circa 1869 - my Great Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 May 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
How wonderful to have  contact with you, thank you. My GGGrandfather was James Goble -1829/1887, John's (circa 1789) youngest son, I think Amelia was the last sibling before James whilst William was the first born.

My line is John the confectioner, his son James and wife Caroline Harris - c:1827/28 and died in Adelaide in 1918 aged 91 years - They arrived here in Australia when Elizabeth, their first child, was 7 months old, on the ship "Epaminondas".
Elizabeth Caroline married George Babstock- of South Australia and had one child, Harry. Elizabeth then married Carl Alfred Dau of South Australia and had 4 children that survived more than 12 months. Her youngest daughter Edith Myrtle married Peter Clarn of London, they had only one child, my mother Shirley Myrtle who married Cyril Douglas Rosenhain of South Australia.

I am really keen to get anything to further my research, especially as where John came from and what was his wife's surname? Anything else is a bonus, thanks again.

regards,
Pam

PS: I've just re-read your reply and realise your Amelia is a different one to James' sister as she was  born circa: 1827.
Callan in Ireland and London: Clarn in London: Carroll in Ireland and London: Callahan in London: Goller in Ireland and London: Comben in the UK (Dorset): Attwooll in Dorset: Sansom in Dorset:  Goble in Kent; Gibbs in Dorset: Rosenhain in Germany: Dau in Germany and Australia: Bahls in Germany and Australia: Hildebrandt in Germany and Australia: Levin in Obernitzischka, near Leipzig in Germany

Offline Lady of Kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 11 08:45 BST (UK) »
That's right, my line is through James' brother William. They were a military family- there is lots to be found about John Goble as regards military records. I think if my memory serves me he was in the battle of Waterloo- it's a while since I've looked into all this! I can't remember how far I got with John Goble's family, but I have looked at various different places for a birth record unsuccessfully. My Great Nan, Amelia married Walter Fray, and had many children. He left her, and she struggled to afford to keep them all, so her youngest twins went to live in Canada- the family had a history of living there before this. These twins had families in Canada and the US and I am in contact with some of them. When I go home (Canterbury) next I will search through the boxes of family tree stuff!

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 October 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
I know it is a long time after any postings on this thread but, I know of a baptism that may be of interest.

It took place at St Clement’s Church, Sandwich as follows:-

31 May 1789 John Adkins s/o William & Ann GOBLE Bn. 28 Feb : Born at Canterbury : Traveller

I do hope it is of help to someone.  ???

Tony :)