Author Topic: Farrow Family from Kendal, Westmorland to Canada  (Read 9568 times)

Offline Ella Cinders

• RootsChat Member
  • What you forget you can never Retell
    • View Profile
Re: Farrow Family from Kendal, Westmorland to Canada
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 September 10 14:28 BST (UK) »

I can't find anything on Nancy Farrow - the Annie Farrow as witness on marriage registrations could be her as Annie was a nickname for Nancy.

Debbie

You are correct, it is her.  Her name interchanges between Nancy Farrow and Annie Farrow & has been confusing me.
Farrow Family living in Saint Pancras, Camden Town, Bermondsey, Cumbria (England); Toronto and Montreal (Canada)
Shepherd Family, Kendal Westmorland, England
Ferguson Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Troughton Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Carradice/Carradus Family living in Kendal, Cumbria.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 September 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Louisa Farrow (a possible sister to your Thomas Farrow) married Sep 1869 Kendal 10b 825 to either James Carradus or Charles Ross

1871 Census for Kendal James Carradice, 26, with wife Louisa, 23, b. Bermondsey and children James 2, and Hannah J. 3 months.  Both children born Kendal.  Husband is a skinner. 

The couple remains in Kendal for all the other British census. 
In 1881 Louisa shows a birthplace of Bermondsey, Middlesex
In 1891 Louisa shows a birthplace of London, MIddlesex
In 1901 Louisa shows a birthplace of London, Middlesex

Children with ages from census were
James (1869), Hannah J. (1871), Eleanor (1874), Elizabeth (1879), Joseph (1881), John (1883), Louisa (1886), Nancy (1890), Richard (1894).

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 September 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thomas Farrow and Anne Ferguson marriage Dec 1901 Kendal 10b 1257

On the 1911 Canadian Census the family is at 39 Rielle St. in Montreal. 
Thomas Farrow, 29, b. Feb 1882, his wife Anne b. March 1882 and children all born in England except the youngest.
Walter b. Dec 1900, Thomas b. Apr 1902, Gladys b. Feb 1907 and Annie b. Aug 1909.  Thomas shows a 1907 immigration year and the rest of the family 1908.

Mrs. Ann Farrow, 26 and Walter 7, Thomas 6 and infant Gladys were on board the Virginian which travelled from Liverpool to Halifax and St. John NB, arriving April 4, 1908.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html
Father Thomas Farrow #219269 and sons Thomas #145877 and Walter #144619 all signed up to serve in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces.  All gave Ann as their next of kin and her address on Gertrude Ave. in Toronto.

Annie's death in 1930 confirms the parents names and that they moved from Quebec to Ontario around 1914 as she had been in the province for 16 years.

There is an online ancestry tree which shows Walter Ferguson Farrow b. 10 Dec 1900 Kendal dying 4 Oct 1962 in Montreal.   His parents are shown as Thomas Farrow( shows death of 22 May 1962 Montreal) and Anne Ferguson.  There is an age discrepancy on all his records.  It shows he married Lily Beatrice Shepherd who was b. Oct 14, 1897 Kendal and d. 1962 Montreal.  There is a marriage record Jun 1919 Kendal 10b 1898 for Lily B. Shepherd and Walter F. Farrow.  The family tree shows Lily's mother as Sarah Hannah Shepherd b. 1878 (any relation to Nancy Shepherd?)

Debbie

Offline Ella Cinders

• RootsChat Member
  • What you forget you can never Retell
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 September 10 03:40 BST (UK) »
I am following up with all the excellent information contributed on this topic. Reply #12 regarding James & Elizabeth's children is a key in my search.  I believe the confusion regarding Thomas Farrow's birth is due to the death & subsquent reuse of the name Thomas, in this case it appears to have occurred more than once.  I had been unaware that there was more than one Thomas born to this family. Sadly, so many of the children died in early childhood.  I will be looking at Reply #12 more closely for additional clues.  Many thanks.
Farrow Family living in Saint Pancras, Camden Town, Bermondsey, Cumbria (England); Toronto and Montreal (Canada)
Shepherd Family, Kendal Westmorland, England
Ferguson Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Troughton Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Carradice/Carradus Family living in Kendal, Cumbria.