Author Topic: Farrow Family from Kendal, Westmorland to Canada  (Read 9570 times)

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farrow Family from Kendal, Westmorland to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 September 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
In 1861 Elizabeth was 23, Louisa 12, John 4, and Arthur 1.

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
In 1851 an Elizabeth Farrow, age 13, born St. Pancras, was a General Servant in the Moonington household: 19 Pratt Street, Camden Town, St. Pancras.

(Elizabeth and Louisa are both listed as born in St. Pancras in the 1861 Census.)

Offline Ella Cinders

• RootsChat Member
  • What you forget you can never Retell
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 September 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
In 1851 an Elizabeth Farrow, age 13, born St. Pancras, was a General Servant in the Moonington household: 19 Pratt Street, Camden Town, St. Pancras.

(Elizabeth and Louisa are both listed as born in St. Pancras in the 1861 Census.)
Thank you for your assistance.  Did you happen to notice if James Farrow's wife is named Elizabeth?  I believe he was married to Elizabeth Hubbard in 1833 at St. Pancras.
Farrow Family living in Saint Pancras, Camden Town, Bermondsey, Cumbria (England); Toronto and Montreal (Canada)
Shepherd Family, Kendal Westmorland, England
Ferguson Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Troughton Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Carradice/Carradus Family living in Kendal, Cumbria.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 September 10 04:49 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage record for James Farrow to Elizabeth Hubbard Sept 15, 1833 St. Pancras.  They most likely are the parents of the following children baptized in the same area.
Elizabeth Harriet b. Sept 16, 1833, c. Oct 27, 1833, d. Jan 11, 1835
Eliza c. Mar 29, 1835
James Thomas b. June 7, 1836, c. July 31, 1836 d. Jan 18, 1838
James Robert c. July 21, 1839
Elizabeth Ann b. April 15, 1840 c. April 26, 1846   [Jun 1840 St. Pancras 1 235] father cabman
Lucy Ann b. Oct 16, 1843 c. April 26, 1846 [Dec 1843 St. Pancras 1 354] father cabman
Thomas b. March 7, 1842 , c. April 26, 1846 [Jun 1842 St. Pancras 1 257] father cabman
William Henry b. March 27, 1846, c. April 26, 1846
Eliza c. June 13, 1847

1841 Census for St. Pancras Camden Town
Jas. Farrow 35 Coachman
Elizabeth Farrow 30
Jas. Farrow 3
Elizabeth 1
All born in County

This record seems to tie in with the above couple.  Eliza b. 1835 must also have died. 
There is a death Mar 1849 St. Pancras 1 245 for a Thomas Farrow. 
Right after the June 1850 birth of Thomas Frederick in St. Pancras there is a Sep 1850 death St. Pancras 1 198 for Thomas Frederick
Death  for Lucy Ann Mar 1848 S. Pancras 1 311
Death for William Henry Sep 1846 St. Pancras 1 286

Have you ordered the birth certificate for Thomas Charles to find out the parents?  There is also a marriage registered Mar 1839 Shoreditch 2 303 for Thomas Farrow with 2 possibilities - Elizabeth Allard or Elisabeth Cayser

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 September 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Maude Farrow, b. 1898 Eng. d/o Thomas Farrow and Nancy Shepherd, married Sept 18, 1918 at Toronto, Ont. to Orval Arnold Pinkney, b. 1898 Streetsville, painter, s/o Joseph Pinkney and Violet Mccormack.  wit: Richard Farrow 19 Royould Ave.  [ancestry has his name as Orval Harold but there is a late birth registration for him which shows his name as Orval Arnold]

They had Thyra Maud Pinkney who died Jan 13, 1926 at 7 months of age - born and died Toronto.  The only reason we can track this birth is because it resulted in a death as births past 1912 are protected under privacy laws.

Robert Farrow - there is a death registration Sept 1897 Kendal 10b 442 at 0 years of age which might be yours.

Mary Elizabeth Farrow - there is a death registration Jun 1903 Kendal 10b 440 at 10 years of age which might fit with your family.

Margaret Agnes Farrow b. Kendal 1891 d/o Thomas Farrow and Nancy Shepherd married charles Andrew Hogg b. Mt. Dennis, Ont. s/o Andrew Hogg and Annie Lovell on Sept 25 1912 Toronto.  Wit: Annie Farrow.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 September 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
Richard Farrow on the Ionian travelling from Liverpool to Halifax and St. John NB arriving Mar 17, 1907.  Destination Toronto and occupation plumber.   Perhaps yours.  He was a witness at some of his siblings marriages but I can't find anything further on him.

Liverpool to Montreal on the Ionian arriving Aug 17, 1906 are Farrows originating from Westmoreland.  Nancy Farrow, 48 with children Annie 17, Maud 8, Nancy 7.  Going to her husband in Toronto.

I can't find anything on Nancy Farrow - the Annie Farrow as witness on marriage registrations could be her as Annie was a nickname for Nancy.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 September 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
There is a 20 year old George Farrow from Westmoreland on the Pretorian which arrived Montreal July 5, 1903 from Liverpool.

George Farrow, 23, b. England, s/o Thomas Farrow and Anne Shepherd married June 25, 1907 at Toronto to Martha Stocks, 19, b. England, d/o Robert Stocks and Martha Ellis.  Both were residents of Toronto Junction.

Birth of 2 children to George Farrow and Martha Stocks showing an address of Hannah Ave. York township.
George Farrow b. Oct 2, 1909 - parents marriage date given June 25, 1907
Arthur Farrow b. Oct 20, 1911   d. Feb 27, 1912 at 4 mos. 7 days of Marasmus.

Young George Farrow must also have died as on the 1911 census he is not shown living with his parents in York South.  Their immigration year is shown as 1910.  There is a record of their return to Canada on the Tunisian arriving May 15, 1910.  Martha (39) and Geo R. Farrow (26) were shown as returning Canadians.

Martha Farrow d. June 26, 1912  at Hannah Ave. Toronto Township.  Cause was miscarriage placenta praevia and heart failure - 4 hours.

2nd marriage for George Farrow, widower, occ:  well digger to 16 year old Mary Jane Welsh b. Antrim Ire.  d/o Wm Welsh and Sarah Jane Eakins on Feb 26, 1913 at York.  Wit: Richard and Annie Farrow of 21/91 (?) Rayboulde Ave. Toronto

Debbie

Offline Ella Cinders

• RootsChat Member
  • What you forget you can never Retell
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 September 10 03:51 BST (UK) »
cosmac, you're awesome! Cannot thank you enough for the excellent information you have made available to me.  You have filled in so many blanks  relating to my 2 x gt grandparents Thomas Farrow & Nancy Shepherd.  I did obtain a birth certificate for Thomas Charles Farrow b. January 21, 1853 indicating his parents are Elizabeth Hubbard and James Farrow (cabman), however, I am having doubts that he is the Thomas Farrow who married Nancy Shepherd. From the marriage certificate of Thomas Farrow and Nancy Shepherd, I know Thomas father's name is James. The birth year appears to be incorrect and in an earlier posting you seemed to indicate his middle name may have been Fredrick.  He did live in Toronto with Nancy, the confusion continues ... 
Farrow Family living in Saint Pancras, Camden Town, Bermondsey, Cumbria (England); Toronto and Montreal (Canada)
Shepherd Family, Kendal Westmorland, England
Ferguson Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Troughton Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Carradice/Carradus Family living in Kendal, Cumbria.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 September 10 05:32 BST (UK) »
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a link to the death certificate so you can see it for yourself. 

I did find information on Thomas Farrow (son) in Canada and have followed Louisa Farrow in England - I've just rearranged the computer area and when the notes resurface I'll post that info.  Louisa is another one whose place of birth keeps changing from census to census.

Debbie