Author Topic: McKenzie in Lochcarron  (Read 4975 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenzie in Lochcarron
« on: Friday 03 September 10 03:18 BST (UK) »
I have John and Colin McKenzie (possibly brothers) married into the McGregor family. Can anyone help with info about this family? I think John married Christy McGregor and I can't find her death to confirm her parents. Colin married Mary McGregor (maybe Christy's sister?)

Fingers crossed

Cheers,

Ann

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzie in Lochcarron
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

Unfortunately, the OPRs for Lochcarron only start in 1819  :(

I have Colin and Mary marrying 28 Feb 1820 and John marrying Christy 5 Feb 1825 . Is that the correct family?

When is the latest census that you have both couples on?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes these are the right couples. I have Colin & Mary up to 1861, then Mary in 1871 by herself?? and in 1881 with daughter Mary, and I have Mary's death in 1882-couldn't find Colin's.

I'm not really sure I have the right people for John & Christy but have a John & Christy at Kirkton in 1841 with 6 possible children, then in 1851 at Auchantraid, but big age difference, then a John & Catherine at Lochcarron in 1881. John is the informant on the deaths of his brothers-in-law Roderick & Alexander McGregor in 1864 at Coulags (they died a week apart).

I really want to find Christy's death to see if her mother is the same as Mary's. Because the OPR's don't exist for the births I've been finding deaths to prove parents, using the census to refine my searches. But with so many names the same it's a hit and miss task.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I wonder if there are any MI's to help.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Ann

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 10 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Thank you for the MI links. I had found the Ross & Cromarty Roots site by accident but hadn't seen the other one-lots of good info there, but none of my family. With them migrating in 1838, their parents headstones are probably worn away by now. But it will be good to check siblings.

I have an Isabella McGregor died in Gortenfrich, Lochcarron in 1857. Do you know where this was? I guess somewhere near Coulags, as her sons died there later on.

Cheers,

Ann

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 10 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

I don't see it near there on modern maps. It might be worth trying the old maps on this site:

http://maps.nls.uk/index.html

Gadget

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

In Watson's "Place names of Ross and Cromarty" there's somewhere called Gorstan listed in Lochcarron parish. Watson lists the Gaelic name of this place as being "an Goirtean fraoich" which means "the small corn enclosure among the heather". This is the closest placename I can see in the parish to Gortenfrich.

Unfortunately, Waston's book doesn't have maps, but Gorstan is listed just a few entries after Coulags and immediately after the entry for Achnashellach, so I would imagine that it must have been in this area.

Hope this helps!
Lynn

Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 10 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget and Lynn,

Thank you both very much for your replies. I really think you both have got the right place. I kept looking over near the coast but am chasing a John McGregor who married a Mary McGregor in 1828 at Lochcarron. Her family is at "Miekle Garve" in 1841 and I said to myself, where is that ?----. Right near Gorstan, maybe Garve of today or I think more likely "Little Garve" nearby.

It's amazing how going sideways can lead you back on the track, especially in Scotland.

I'll keep digging , and thank you once again. I really appreciate all your help.

Cheers,

Ann