Author Topic: who is who in this photo?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline broomer5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
who is who in this photo?
« on: Friday 03 September 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Found this wonderful photo in grandmother's shoebox of old photos.
No one alive in our immediate family that recognizes these folks.
No writing on back.

Supposing these are all family members, how do you think they relate to each other?

Grandmother?
Parents?
Children?
Grandchildren?

Also does anyone have an idea of date of this photo?  Time peroiod?
McBroom, Todd, Dixon, Mustain, Foltz, Mills, Elmore,

Offline Margeh75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: who is who in this photo?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
my opinion is, that the man and woman on our left are husband and wife and with them in front is their children, the woman in the middle is probably the husbands mother, and the woman next to her is probably her daugter, the childrens aunt.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
The boy on the right bears a striking resemblance to the oldest lady in the group.  But is she his grandmother, or his great-grandmother?
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline broomer5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Margeh75
My exact thoughts too, just wanted to see if anyone else had same opinion.

Now these people could just be neighbors but all of the other photos in the box were family.

I'm thinking photo maybe around 1915-1920ish ?

Now some detective work is required.
Thank you both!
McBroom, Todd, Dixon, Mustain, Foltz, Mills, Elmore,

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
I'd say the date is earlier, the lady on the right is wearing a floor length skirt, I'd go for 1900-14.

Also I think the man is older than 40, possibly 55 or 60 as he has quite a double chin.  That doesn't stop him being the children's father but he could be their grandfather.  The oldest lady could be in her 70s - great grandma? and the lady on right in loose top either older aunt or young great aunt to the children.  Their mother is most likely the dark haired lady on left. 
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
I suggest that the man on the left and the woman on the right could be husband and wife, and the grandparents of the children.  The younger woman I would think is their mother, and the older woman their great grandmother.  The younger woman and the middle-aged woman both have a hand on the shoulders of the older woman, which would indicate a close family tie.  The proximity of the man to the younger woman would indicate either a husband or a father.

See, the more you look at it, the more confusing it gets!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:47 BST (UK) »
I suggest that the man on the left and the woman on the right could be husband and wife, and the grandparents of the children.  The younger woman I would think is their mother, and the older woman their great grandmother.  The younger woman and the middle-aged woman both have a hand on the shoulders of the older woman, which would indicate a close family tie.  The proximity of the man to the younger woman would indicate either a husband or a father.

See, the more you look at it, the more confusing it gets!

I agree about the man and wife being left and right as the lady near the man does not have a wedding ring on her left hand  8) and so the children are unlikely to be hers either.

Colin

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 September 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
I knew there was something else I had intended to check Colin, doh!  I had already copied the image and looked closely at other things and then got distracted and never went back to the hand!  So, I wonder if this means that the lady on the right is the mother?  She looks to be in her 40s, but it's not unreasonable, considering that at least one lady in my tree didn't marry until she was over 40 and then produced six children in fairly quick succession.

It did occur to me earlier that the younger woman looked fairly formidable and rather like a governess.  Wonder if she is the younger sister of the lady on the right?  She certainly looks fairly confident and I notice she has what looks like a chatelaine at her waist, which might just be a fashion accessory or she could be wearing it to indicate her status.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 September 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
The house is made of wood while most houses in the UK are brick-built. You can also see next door a short distance away. Do you have any US relatives? They went in for this type of 'clapboard' construction in a big way.

Does this affect the dating of the dresses? Also, the boys (especially) appear to be wearing boots with 'speed-lacing' hooks at the top, which wasn't common in the UK. It required extra leather and the height of the boot wasn't needed as most towns had pavements.

Ken