Author Topic: Help with Buncrana research  (Read 18694 times)

Offline bluedooo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Buncrana research
« on: Friday 03 September 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
I'm in the middle of a project at the moment but now need help or guidance to fill in some gaps on an Irish ancestor from the Buncrana area of Co Donegal.  The family is Roman Catholic, here is what I have -

Edward McDaid (born 28 Feb 1912 Buncrana) married Margaret Doherty (born 18 Sep 1916 Buncrana) got married around 1940 in Buncrana. 5 children **

Edward McDaid (1912) son of James McDaid (born around 1873 Buncrana) and Mary Anne Fulerton (born around 1877 in Buncrana).  I have found James and Mary Anne in the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census returns. Looks like they married around 1897 and had 10 children - Rose, John, Bridget, Teresa, Mary Anne, Sarah, Margaret, Edward, Annie, William James.

Margaret Doherty (1916) daughter of Owen Doherty and Annie Friel they had 10 children - Margaret, Kathleen, John, Elizabeth, Sissy, William James, Colm, Cormack, Olive.
Owen Doherty was the son of John Doherty and Margaret Donachie (Spelling ?)

I would realy like to know -
The parents of James McDaid (1873)
The parents oif Mary Ann Fulerton (1877)
The parents of Annie Friel
Also any BMD dates would be a bonus.

Best Regards
Tom

**Moderator's Note- recent details of possibly living people have been removed in accordance with Rootschat policy.

Offline adak576

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Buncrana research
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 September 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
If Mary Anne Fullerton was born in Buncrana on 16 Jul 1875, her parents were John Fullerton & Ellen Jackson.

If James McDaid was born was also born in Buncrana on 5 Jun 1874, his parents were Thomas McDaid & Mary Anne Kerr.

Source: http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

Never stop digging,
Mike
O'Hagan & McLoughin families from Desertegny Parish on Inishowen Peninsula, Co. Donegal; Rodden & Trainor families from Magilligan, Co. Derry; and McParland, Rice, Myers & Loughran families from the Cooley Peninsula of Co. Louth.

Offline bluedooo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.  Looks promising!

Regards
Tom

Offline MarieMcDaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

Just saw your posting regarding James McDaid & Mary Ann Fullerton.  They were my Great Grandparents.

James was born approx 1873 (died 17 Nov 1950) and Mary Ann Fullerton was born 2 Aug 1872 (died 15 Jan 1947).  They married at St. Mary's Church Cockhill Buncrana on 8 Dec 1895.  Their son John was my Grandfather. 

James's parents were John McDaid (B 1836 & died 24 Oct 1910) & Teresa Grant (b 1841 & died 14 jun 1904).

Mary Ann's parents were Edward Fullerton (b 1844 & deid 17 jul 1907) & Mary Feeny (b 1851 & died 27 Apr 1921).

Hope this helps.  Are you any relation???  Would be interested to hear from you.

Also, was the Margaret Doherty you mentioned married to Edward McDaid?  The Donachie spelling should probably be Donaghey....

Regards
Marie
McDaid- Buncrana
Fullerton- Buncrana
McColgan- Iskaheen, Muff
Friel- Muff / Glackmore / Aught
McGahey - Glackmore / Aught
Doherty - Buncrana
McGowan - Carnamoyle, Muff
Gallanagh - Buncrana
McCallion - Carnamoyle, Muff
McLaughlin - Clunelly
Granny / Grant - Clunelly
Granny / Grant - Kinnoge, Buncrana

Offline Pollandam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Fullerton is very likely my grandfathers elder sister.His name was John amd he lived from 1878-1958. They also had a sister Unity and at least 2 brothers,James Fullerton and Edward Fullerton and both went to US.I am not sure what happened Unity except that she married Edward McDaid and had 4,5 or 6 children.Their names were Kathleen born in 1900,Winnie 1902,Nellie 1904?,Edward 1906?
Their parents were John Fullerton and Ellen Jackson. Ellen's brother Neil married John Fullerton's sister Mary.John's father was also called John and he owned 300 acres of hill land at Drumlough and this is mentioned in Griffiths Valuation of 1857.I think his father was Alexander who must have arrived in this part of Donegal in the late 1700's.That land is now owned by John Fullerton,the great-great-grandson of the man who owned it in 1857.

Let me know if you can add to this as my wife is the grandaughter of Kathleen McDaid 1900-1985 mentioned above.

Offline MarieMcDaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Pollandam

My Mary Anne would be a cousin to your Grandfather.  Mary Anne was my great grandmother.  Her parents were Edward Fullerton & Mary Feeney. 

See the following:
John Fullerton married Ellen Jackson in Cockhill Buncrana in 1869.  To my knowledge they had 7 children:
John B 1871  (must have died young)
Unity B 1873 married Edward McDaid in Cockhill Buncrana in 1895
James B 1883 (I don't have anything on James but will now follow up on what you said about the US)
Edward B 1885 married Annie McLaughlin in Lexington Boston in 1911 & had at least 3 children
Mary Anne B 1875 (other than her birth I don't have any other information)
William B 1880 (I don't have anything on William as yet)

Unity & Edwards children that I am aware of were:
Kathleen B 1899
Unity B 1902
Ellen B 1901
William B 1905
Johnny B 1907

I didn't know that Ellen's brother Neil married John Fullerton's sister Mary.  Do you have any additional information on this?

You are correct in saying that John's father was also called John and his was Alexander.   As yet I'm not sure where Alexander originated from. 

If I can be of any further help or if you have anything further you can add do let me know.

Marie
McDaid- Buncrana
Fullerton- Buncrana
McColgan- Iskaheen, Muff
Doherty - Buncrana
Gallanagh - Buncrana
McLaughlin - Clunelly

Offline MarieMcDaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry John Fullerton & Ellen Jackson had a second son called John B 1878 d 1958.  He is your ancestor. He married McGrory.  Do you have the details on this family.  I have a list of 10 children but no details on them.

Also, Do you know anything about the Edward McDaid that Unity married.  Where he was from?  Who his parents were?

I am in the process of doing further research on my McDaid family and was wondering if he was a connection?

Marie
McDaid- Buncrana
Fullerton- Buncrana
McColgan- Iskaheen, Muff
Doherty - Buncrana
Gallanagh - Buncrana
McLaughlin - Clunelly

Offline adak576

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Marie,
Did your great grandmother, Mary Anne, have a sister, Margaret?  I have Margaret with Edward & Mary Feeney as parents, marrying John Bradley (1871-1946).  He came from Glebe in Desertegny (the Parish) & died in Belfast.  The Bradleys have an extensivie family tree website.
Mike
O'Hagan & McLoughin families from Desertegny Parish on Inishowen Peninsula, Co. Donegal; Rodden & Trainor families from Magilligan, Co. Derry; and McParland, Rice, Myers & Loughran families from the Cooley Peninsula of Co. Louth.

Offline MarieMcDaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
Mike

Yes your Margaret was a sister of Mary Annes.  Would love to see the Bradley family tree website.  do you have the link?

Marie
McDaid- Buncrana
Fullerton- Buncrana
McColgan- Iskaheen, Muff
Doherty - Buncrana
Gallanagh - Buncrana
McLaughlin - Clunelly