Author Topic: Bullen - Ann Boleyn  (Read 52903 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bullen - Ann Boleyn
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 January 11 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, have just discovered this web site and looked up Daniel Bullen. He is my great great grandfather, and  I have started to research his family. I know that when he returned from Durham he married  Anna Webster and they had one daughter called Polly (real name Alice Mary Anne,)  She married a John Bird and had 4 children, Wilfred, Bertram Dorothy and Lilian. Dorothy was my grandmother. Daniel was born in Stow Bedon in 1847 and died in 1951.
Barb.

Hi Barb

My great great Grandfather was George Bullen (Daniel's (Uncle Dan) brother who married Agnes Forsyth. He moved to Durham too and stayed there.

What you have said above has confused me.  You say Dan and Anne Webster only had one daughter (Polly) who married John Bird, so who are Mary Ann Webster Bullen b: 1870 and John Webster Bullen b: 1873.  Are they her children from a previous marriage?

As for Polly and John Bird's children, I have Herbert (who married Jane), Eleanor, Annie, Sally, William, Dorothy, (who married George Page), Lilian (who married Mr Dove), Lilian Maude Dove Bullen b: 1902 and Wilfred Dove Bullen b: 1899.

Where did I go wrong?

Also, do you know if Dan's other wife was Minnie Tottman and if their children were Bertha Agnes Bullen, (who married Mr Baker) Daniel Lock Bullen and a  female Bullen who married Mr Childerhouse?

Hoping you will reply :)

Mo

Offline USABullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 00:25 GMT (UK) »
For Barb and Mo:
The group tracing Bullen family history via ancestry.com has some same information and some different or missing.  I'm most interested in getting the correct information, as Daniel Thomas Bullen (1846-1951) was my Great-Uncle.  I started checking the facts and have found so many other families working  on this, it will take me some time to check out all the clues.  Let me give you an example.
Dan's first wife was Minnnie Tottman (1845 or 50-1872).  The family trees that list her say Polly and John were her children.  But they say she and Dan were married in 1873, same year our family history says Dan married Anna Maria Webster, and then the children's birth dates don't match up either way.  I'm gong to send emails to the people on ancestry.com who are also researching our family and see what they say.
Also, the one thing I do know because I met both ladies:  Dan had one daughter named Lily and one granddaughter named Lily.  His daughter is the one who married Ellie Dove. They had a son who should be living; last time I saw him and his parents was at Home Farm in Stow Bedon in 1969.
So, anything you know for sure, please share, and I will try to match it with the records available to me on ancestry.com. 
USABullen
Bullen, Palmer, Maughan

Offline barbclut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo , thanks for your reply, this is the information I have but will have to check with my mother. Daniel married  Anna Webster and they had two children, Polly and John. John married a Meehan and they had a daughter Lily who married E Dove and had a son John. Will have to check this out. Polly had 4 children Wilfred who was killed in the 1st world war ,Herbert who married Jane, I remember these from my childhood as my mother spent a lot of time with them. Dorothy who married George Page, who are my grandparents, and Lily who married Ned Childerhouse. A few years age a distant relative from Washington Tyne and Ware got in touch with my mother as he said his great grandfather was a Daniel Bullen a miner from Norfolk, is it the same Daniel and did he have a family while working the coalmines? I know that Daniel was a colourful character, I have several photos of him on his 100 birthday, my mum ised to help him on his farm but missed this special celebration as she was living in Rhodesia at the time. I must of met him but cannot remember as I was aged 2 when he died. Hope this is of some help to you, as I said I will ask mum about the other names you mentioned as Pollys children.
regards Barb.

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
h Barb.
Trying to work out which one you are, Is Betty your mother ?. I worked for George Page during the 1960s  I remember going to Swaffham Market with him every Saturday.
I too have quite a few photos of Dan and family, may well be the same pics...
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo , thanks for your reply, this is the information I have but will have to check with my mother. Daniel married  Anna Webster and they had two children, Polly and John. John married a Meehan and they had a daughter Lily who married E Dove and had a son John. Will have to check this out. Polly had 4 children Wilfred who was killed in the 1st world war ,Herbert who married Jane, I remember these from my childhood as my mother spent a lot of time with them. Dorothy who married George Page, who are my grandparents, and Lily who married Ned Childerhouse. A few years age a distant relative from Washington Tyne and Ware got in touch with my mother as he said his great grandfather was a Daniel Bullen a miner from Norfolk, is it the same Daniel and did he have a family while working the coalmines? I know that Daniel was a colourful character, I have several photos of him on his 100 birthday, my mum ised to help him on his farm but missed this special celebration as she was living in Rhodesia at the time. I must of met him but cannot remember as I was aged 2 when he died. Hope this is of some help to you, as I said I will ask mum about the other names you mentioned as Pollys children.
regards Barb.

Hi Barb

Thanks for the info.  Do you have dates for the above as I am still confused.  I thought (along with USABullen) that Minnie Tottman was Polly and John's mother.  Also, on your post dated 9.1.11 you said Polly's children were Wilfred, Bertram (not Herbert), Dorothy and Lilian.

Yes, it is the same Daniel Thomas Bullen (although I thought it was only George and Benjamin who stayed in the North East and had a family.  I thought Dan went back to Norfolk.  My family come from Bournmoor which is not far from Washington, Tyne and Wear.  In fact my father is buried in the churchyard next door to Washington Old Hall.

Benjamin and his family's gravestone is in St Barnabas' churchyard just down the road from where my family still live.

Mo

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 14 January 11 12:23 GMT (UK) »
regards Barb.

Hi again

After you said that Wilfred was killed in WW1 I tired to find his military records and what I did come across was the roll of honour at http://www.breckland-rollofhonour.org.uk/carbrooke.html
What confuses me is that he is named as Private J W (Wilfred John) Bullen son of John and Mary Bird.  Why Bullen?

Offline barbclut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo,
 Have spoken to mother and this is the information she has given me. Daniel came back from Durham and married Anna Webster. They had two children Alice Mary Ann known as Polly and John.   Polly had two boys outside of marriage ( father unknown) and when she fell pregnant again Daniel insisted she marry, this was to John Bird father of Dorothy and Lily.This is why Wilfred and Bertie both had the Bullen surname! Minnie Totman couldnt have been their mother ( Polly and John) as they were born after she died, we think he married her while in Durham and returned to Norfolk after her death, but he never spoke of this time to the family here. Hope this helps things look clearer.
regards Barb

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb

Thank you so much for your reply.

I understand now who Bertram and Wilfred were.  Could their father have been a Mr Brown, I think I saw that on a census somewhere?  Will need to check.

If you have any queries regarding my side (i.e. George - Great Uncle Dan's brother) I will be only to happy to oblige.

Thanks again
Mo

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bullen UPDATE
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 27 February 11 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thought I might just post this here as I have not received any updates on the family here in Norfolk.With the exception of the below.

I have just been given a small box which contained newspaper cuttings (EDP) most of which were with reference to various people from Stow Bedon Norfolk,some of which include the Bullen family  including 14 letters and 11 postcards some posted with Stow Bedon scenes and others posted from Durham. I only have these in my possession for a few days.
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...