Author Topic: 1901 census Brighton/Hove/Portslade area  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Denise Ford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1901 census Brighton/Hove/Portslade area
« on: Tuesday 05 April 05 15:32 BST (UK) »
I've tried but failed on the online version to find a William Beecham possibly with his wife whose initial is "A", should be aged 27ish in 1901. 

Can anyone help?
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Denise Ford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census Brighton/Hove/Portslade area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 17:07 BST (UK) »
ooh should also say failing this an 1891 lookup might help... if anyone can spare a few minutes?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 17:12 BST (UK) »
Denise

I don't suppose we have any idea where he was born?  Occupation?  Children?  Parents?

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Denise Ford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hmm.  Thereby lies a long tale.  I'll update more when I get back home and have all the details to hand... but this is me helping a friend try and reunite her father with his family.  His father was this William Beecham.  His mother was Ellen Parsons.  Ellen & William were not married, and in the 30's Ellen & William were prosecuted and imprisoned - twice - for severe neglect of their children.  The children eventually ended up in Barnardos and were seperated, never to meet again.  So, very little information remains, other than snippets that were gleaned from the Barnardos file, given to Williams son Stanley, at the end of last year, he is now in his 70's and knows nothing of his family.  His parents ages and full names were not give in the Barnardos file and whilst we have found 2 press cuttings from the Hove area outlining the horrors of the neglect, there is nothing else to go on.  He has one wish, to lay flowers on his mothers grave.  But, we cannot find his mother. 

We have just found William's death certificate.  It provides the following details:  William Beecham, age 71, died 28th Sept 1945, Pouchlands House, East Chiltington.  I know now this was the workhouse at the time.

He lived 122 Clarenden Road, Hove and was Retired General Labourer.  The informant was, to our surprise, his wife!  A Beecham, widow, of 5 Gladstone Terrace, Brighton.  During the 1930's Stanley did live for some time at Gladstone Terrace but was under 5 years old and did not know it was his "family" home, until he got this certificate today.

That is all I can offer.  Please, any suggestions, any help, from anyone are appreciated.  I cannot express how much I want to help Stanley - his childhood was taken from him... somehow I want to help him find it again...

Offline Denise Ford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
OK series of events: most after last available census so nothing but birth certificates available for brothers (and some bro's suspected to be adopted so their "other" names not known).

c1874 William Beecham born
Sept qtr 1922 his son with Ellen Parsons: George Francis Parsons born in Brighton
3/3/1926 Frank Parsons born to William and Ellen, Brighton
Jun qtr 1927 Jack Parsons born to William and Ellen, Brighton
4/12/1928 Charles Parsons born to William and Ellen, Brighton
7/12/1938 NSPCC called in.
10/1/1929 Ellen & William sentenced to imprisonment for 2 months hard labour.
Feb 1929 George, Frank and Jack adopted by the Brighton Guardians: Charles aged 2 months returned to Ellen's care.
14/6/1930 Stanley Parsons born to William and Ellen, Brighton.
3/11/1931 Walter Parsons born to William and Ellen, Steyning.
25/5/1933 Ellen & William sentenced to one day's imprisonment for neglect of George, Jack, Stanley and Walter. Charles again returned to Ellen and William's care with parents getting a warning about his future care.  Others transferred to the care of Barnardos, in July of that year.
28/9/1945 William dies Pouchlands House, East Chiltington

Can anyone help???

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise

I can't see any William BEECHAM of about that age in Sussex 1901 or 1891.  I suppose the problem is that he could have come from anywhere .............  ???

This may be no connection - I don't know how many PARSONs were born about that time - but there is a death registered March quarter 1999 Wokingham, Berkshire of an Edward Charles PARSONS born 4 December 1928.

You could try tracing backward/forwards through the electoral registers/street directories for Gladstone Terrace etc. ???

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/england/brighton_hove.html

I'm sure we'd all love to be able to help ................ it's such a difficult one ..................... I can't think of anything else right now - perhaps somebody else can dream up some more ideas!

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Offline Denise Ford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Casalguidi... Stanley now lives in Worksop so going to Brighton is pretty difficult for him... I'm closer in Kent so I guess I'll have to find a spare day off to go look at the electoral register.  It's one of those situations where I want the answers NOW  ::)  I don't think anything has ever touched me as much as a 70 yr old man crying on the phone when he read the press cuttings to me  :-[  There must be something I can do!!  ???

Offline Denise Ford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 20:42 BST (UK) »
Wonderful news... a lovely lovely man has volunteered to go to E Sussex Records Office for us tomorrow to inspect the admission records for Pouchlands House... maybe this will give us a lead on Ellen, Stanley's mother.  He is getting very stressed that the leads are still cold.. perhaps this will lead somewhere positive?  Just wanted to share my excitement  ::)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 20:47 BST (UK) »
That's great news Denise - I'm sure the story has touched many of us. Fingers crossed  :)

Casalguidi