Author Topic: Related to Mary Queen of Scotts?? :S  (Read 20095 times)

Offline Brontie.G.J

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Related to Mary Queen of Scotts?? :S
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I grand mother says my granfather saI'd his side of the family ar related to Mary Queen of Scots but how do I find this out?? Does anyone have a family tree of the family that I could possibly add to

Offline lauralei2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
I'm related to Mary Queen of Scots through my French side of the family. My 19th great-grandmother Marie d'Avesnes is our common ancestor, which makes Mary my 11th cousin, 10 times removed.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 October 18 01:54 BST (UK) »
I grand mother says my granfather saI'd his side of the family ar related to Mary Queen of Scots but how do I find this out?? Does anyone have a family tree of the family that I could possibly add to

Hello Brontie. A belated welcome to RootsChat forum.
You need to work backwards from your grandfather.
A great-grandson of Queen Mary was King Charles the Second. He had a lot of illegitimate children. Many of the nobility are descended from him and his mistresses. His brother James had some children by mistresses too. Both Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah Freguson, former wife of Prince Andrew, Duke of York were descended from Mary, Queen of Scots by these routes.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 October 18 02:06 BST (UK) »
I'm related to Mary Queen of Scots through my French side of the family. My 19th great-grandmother Marie d'Avesnes is our common ancestor, which makes Mary my 11th cousin, 10 times removed.

Hello and welcome to RootsChat.

Was this lady also Marie of Hainaut? Aunt to Queen Philippa, wife of King Edward the Third of England?
Cowban

Offline lauralei2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 October 18 02:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's her, and is the Aunt of Philippa of Hainaut, who was married to Edward III.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 October 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Should not be too difficult to check. Mary - Queen of Scots - had only one child who reached adulthood and that was James VI of Scotland, our King James I.

James I had only 2 children who reached adulthood - Charles I and Elizabeth of Bohemia, both rulers. Of those only Charles had any offspring outside the royal family - perhaps quite a few! So it would be a bit surprising to be descended from Mary without being descended also from James and Charles.

I have never seen a whisper of Charles l (i.e. Charles first) having offspring outside of his marriage.  Please do tell me more. 

His son, Charles ll (second), was profligate of course, and if a family history could be traced back to one of Charles 2nd's bar sinister children, then that still goes back to Mary Queen of Scots.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 October 18 22:48 BST (UK) »

James I had only 2 children who reached adulthood - Charles I and Elizabeth of Bohemia, both rulers. Of those only Charles had any offspring outside the royal family - perhaps quite a few! So it would be a bit surprising to be descended from Mary without being descended also from James and Charles.

I have never seen a whisper of Charles l (i.e. Charles first) having offspring outside of his marriage.  Please do tell me more. 

His son, Charles ll (second), was profligate of course, and if a family history could be traced back to one of Charles 2nd's bar sinister children, then that still goes back to Mary Queen of Scots.

I, too had an assumption of Charles 1 being abstemious. It may have been incorrect. He didn't marry until he was 25.
 His elder brother, Henry died aged 18.
Another Prince Henry (1640-1660), Duke of Gloucester & Earl of Cambridge was youngest brother of Charles 2nd and James 2nd.
I don't know if either Henry had offspring. Henry, Duke of Gloucester spent his teenage years in exile in France. He did some soldiering. Who knows what else he got up to.
Henrietta, youngest daughter of Charles 1 married her French cousin, the Duke of Orleans. Descendants of one of their daughters were kings of Sardinia.

Elizabeth of Bohemia, daughter of James 1st was mother of Sophia of Hanover (mother of King George 1st of England), Princes Rupert and Maurice of the Rhine + 6 other children. Rupert and Maurice of the Rhine assisted their Uncle Charles in the English Civil War. I'm sure English Royalist women loved them.
 George, Elector of Hanover was accompanied by his 2 favourite mistresses when he travelled to England to be crowned King George 1. KG3 had a lot of children with Queen Charlotte. Their sons had mistresses and morganatic marriages and lots of children.
Then there was jolly Edward Seventh, great-grandson of KG3. Isn't Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall a Stuart descendant and a distant cousin of Prince Charles, Diana and Sarah Ferguson? That's even without King Edward as her potential great-grandfather.

Potential multiple routes of descent from Mary QoS, many criss-crossing.

Cowban

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 October 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
all the above leads me to believe .

1 we are all related to her #

2 nobody is

3 I am now totally confused with who the heck I am related to. :)

xin

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 October 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
all the above leads me to believe .

1 we are all related to her #

2 nobody is

3 I am now totally confused with who the heck I am related to. :)

xin

;D ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU